Tag Archive for C Corporation

S Corporation Vs. C Corporation In 2018

Lisa Nason, Tax Advisor, Tax Blog, Greenville, SC, TaxConnections

Many of you are wondering how the new tax rate changes will impact you. Obviously we can’t answer that off the top of our heads as each person’s situation is different, and in many cases experts are still trying to figure out how the changes will play out. One of the biggest changes is the corporate tax rate reduction to a maximum of 21% versus the maximum tax rate for individuals being around 37%. Read more

Choosing Between A ‘C’ OR ‘S’ Corporation – Selling Options For your Business

Ron Oddo

Usually, no other factors carry the weight of the tax issue or significantly differentiate the C from the S Corporation. Limited liability is attainable in both the C and S Corporation forms. Voting rights need not differ. An S Corporation conducts business, on a day-to-day basis, exactly as a regular corporation. The only difference between the C and S Corporation is the filing of a one-page IRS form (Form 2553) electing treatment as an S Corporation.

Read more

Choosing Between A ‘C’ OR ‘S’ Corporation – Weighing Tax Attributes

Ron Oddo

Question most CPAs as to what business form they suggest for the business clients and they typically answer, “A C Corporation—at least in the early capital formation years of the business.” Ask any Investment Banker or other Transaction Advisor what entity they prefer and you will likely hear, “An S Corporation or LLC (Limited Liability Company), or perhaps a partnership or sole proprietorship. Anything, anything, but a C Corporation!”

Read more

Charitable Contribution Incentives In PATH Act

John Stancil

The Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes Act (PATH) contains a number of tax provisions that are designed to reduce the amount of taxes paid by United States taxpayers. This act was signed by the President in December 2015. The provisions in the act are not new incentives, but made existing incentives permanent. This can be seen as somewhat significant as there is sentiment in Congress and elsewhere to reduce the tax benefit from charitable contributions. I would add that “permanent” in tax lingo means the provisions do not expire, but may be changed at any time by Congress.

Read more

Tax-Free Sales Of Corporate Stock

One day, you had an idea for a business. Acting on your dreams, you formed a corporation and opened a business. As it turned out, your business was highly successful but now you would like to step back, sell your stock, and enjoy the fruits of your labors. But you hesitate because you really don’t want to pay such a huge tax bill.

Read more

CRA Forms Overlooked By Canadians Investing In U.S. Real Estate

Larry Stolberg

The T1134 and T1135 are a sample of Canadian foreign information returns such as the U.S. 8938, 5471, or 8865.

A number of Canadians are investing in the U.S. real estate market with a U.S. limited partnership, whose limited partners are solely Canadian residents and the general partner is a U.S. C corporation, whose shareholders are also Canadian residents.

Read more

Congress Changes Certain Returns Due Dates

Congress recently passed some legislation that changes the due dates of certain returns.  Partnership and S Corporation returns using a calendar year will be due on March 15 (two and one-half months after the end of the fiscal year). This is effective for tax years beginning after December 15, 2015.

C Corporation returns using a calendar year will be due will be due April 15 (three and one-half months after the end of the fiscal year). This is effective for tax years beginning after December 15, 2015 unless the fiscal year ends June 30, in which case it is effective for tax years beginning after December 31, 2025. Go figure.

The new law also changes the due date for the FinCEN Report 114 to April 15. Remember Read more

Start 2015 Tax Planning Now! Part 1

Tax Code Changes Create Challenges

What should small business owners focus on for 2015 tax planning?

An  important,  yet  often  overlooked,  issue  for small business owners is the choice of the form of entity under which they operate. For 2015, this will become critical as Congress contemplates major changes to  the  tax  code.  Currently, the maximum   corporate federal tax  rate  is  generally  less  than the maximum individual tax rate. This has led many business owners to consider converting their sole proprietorships and pass through entities (such as S corporations and LLCs) into C corporations, which are taxed at the lower corporate rate. Caution must be exercised before making this change, Read more

S Corporations Beat-Out LLCs For Americans Carrying On Business In Canada

As a general rule, U.S. residents are only subject to Canadian tax on business income to the extent that such income is earned via a permanent establishment (“PE”) in Canada(1).

If a U.S. C corporation earns profits that are taxable in Canada, such profits will be subject to federal corporate taxation under Part I of the Income Tax Act (“the Act”) at a rate of 15%, plus, assuming there is a PE in a province, provincial corporate taxation at varying rates. For example, in Ontario the rate is 11.5% and in Alberta the rate is 10%, thereby resulting in combined corporate tax rates of 26.5% and 25%, respectively(2).

In addition, a U.S. corporation earning income from carrying on business in Canada may also be subject to the “branch tax” that is levied under Part XIV of the Act. This tax is quite Read more

Accumulated Adjustment Accounts

TaxConnections Blogger John Dundon posts about accumulated adjustment accountsNow that the corporate tax extension deadline is past and we all prepared, signed and filed our 2012 1120-S IRS forms (yeah right!), I write to report some of my codified thoughts on Analysis of Accumulated Adjustments Account, Schedule M-3, Other Adjustments Account, and Shareholders’ Undistributed Taxable Income Previously Taxed. Or in tax speak the “AAA”.

Generally your corporation’s Accumulated Adjustments Account (AAA) is an account of the corporation. It belongs to the corporation, not to you the shareholder. If you have elected S-Corporation Status the AAA tracks the amount of undistributed income that has been subject to income tax at each respective shareholder’s marginal tax rate. Its treatment is similar in nature to the manner in which earnings and profits generally track a C corporation’s undistributed income.

The AAA became relevant in 1983, so if you formed your S-Corp any time then or later the first day of the first year your corporation is an S corporation the balance of the AAA is zero. Each year after that the AAA is adjusted under mandate. I’ll address how to adjust the AAA a bit later in the post.

The significance of the AAA is that it allows previously taxed but undistributed income to be distributed income tax-free to shareholders up to the value of the shareholder’s investment in the corporation. This can be a difficult concept to grasp and without adequate bookkeeping even more difficult to track.

Here’s why… Read more

Penny Taxwise Ponders Incorporation

We meet again, you tax-paying rascals! Penny here, and I’m back atcha with another installment of Penny Taxwise. As you loyal readers out there know, your ol’ pal Penny is rocking the whole work-at-home mom gig like crazy this year. At the end of 2012, my little freelance writing biz exploded and I’ve been struggling to catch up with the success.

To compound things further, I’ve branched out from the freelance writing to a variety of other endeavors – a blog, websites, and an upcoming info product line to be exact. I expect to earn a significant amount of income from these things over the next couple of years, and it dawned on me that I should think about taking the plunge and becoming an actual business.

Naturally, I’ve been researching the heck out of the idea this week. I was spurred by a question that was posted recently right here on TaxConnections:

Oh man. That’s my biggest fear realized. I try to do everything by the book, but I fear the wrath of Uncle Sam when it comes to incorrect self-employment tax records – I think all freelancers feel the same way. Patrick O’Hara, Tax Pro and Owner/Enrolled Agent of CHR Associates in New York, jumped at the chance to respond:


Well, wow. His reply was the final push over the edge I needed to finally make a real effort with my business structure search. Off I went to learn about business entities, and boy… did I learn a lot!

Why I’m Thinking LLC

Since Mr. Taxwise and I have our own property to protect, I want to form a legal structure for my business that will shelter us from any potential lawsuits against our personal assets down the road. If you’re wondering why I’m so worried about that with nothing but a teensy Internet biz to show for myself, allow me to enlighten you.

My ultimate goal is to eventually purchase rental properties. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for the better part of ten years, and my online adventures may just allow me to build up enough savings to break into the game. However, if I choose to file as a sole proprietor, my personal assets won’t be protected.

That’s why I decided to go for incorporation. I learned that there are three basic types of legal entities freelancers could form if they choose to incorporate: an S Corporation, a C Corporation, or an LLC (Limited Liability Company). Each comes with its own benefits and drawbacks for freelancers, so picking the right one is vital for protecting your bottom line.

According to an awesome SBA writeup I found, S Corporations, if owned by one single shareholder (the freelancer), allow only the earnings to be subject to employment tax. If the S Corp freelancer makes quite a bit one year, he or she can take a fraction of that year’s earnings as a paycheck and the rest as “profit through distribution to shareholders.”

The S Corp does have a major downside, of course. It demands yearly legal hoop-jumping, including accomplishing compelling tasks throughout the year – requirements such as holding regular shareholder meetings, filing minutes from them, extensive record-keeping, and reporting bylaw updates. Sounds like a blast, right?

On the other hand, a C Corporation is great for people who have small startups that may seek future venture capital to finance expansion. Although there’s flexibility to spread profits around to plan for taxes. However, at the end of the day, a freelancer who chooses this corporate structure will almost always end up with a hefty tax bill due to the whole double taxation thing. Not very fun, either.

That brings us to the newest corporation type around – the Limited Liability Company (LLC). Owners of LLC companies deal with taxes like sole proprietors. They’re taxed on the LLC’s net income, and those taxes are reported on the owner’s personal tax return. The LLC simply acts as a “pass-though entity.”

That was all fine with me since the biggest selling point was the part about an LLC protecting me from legal attacks once I begin dealing with real estate. Plus, if my company doesn’t make much or operates on a loss at first, I can report that on my income taxes. Bonus!

Yup, I’ve definitely made my choice.

Evaluating Your Own Biz

Enough about me… let’s talk about you! If you’re the proud owner of a small biz or a freelancer yourself, it’s important to evaluate your own business needs before choosing a structure. Moreover, you should talk to a tax professional before making any big decisions.

In addition, don’t forget to check with your state for laws concerning your new filing status. Many require different kinds of things from you depending upon the entity you choose.

That’s it for me this week, my taxalicious buddies!

Until next time.

Making Cents Count,


Meet Tax Experts At TaxConnections...