Assistant Tax Manager (San Francisco, CA)
TaxConnections has been retained by a client in San Francisco, CA to locate an Assistant Tax Manager for a family office. This is a newly created role for a family with multiple investments.
The Assistant Tax Manager will be responsible for assisting the Director of Tax, Pass-Through Entities and the Senior Tax Manager in managing the tax planning and compliance functions for multiple business lines and other investments owned by family. Primary emphasis is on tax compliance, planning, and support for Fremont’s pass-through entities. Understand and apply the current tax laws and regulations including the tax implications of investment partnership structures and real estate development and operations. Identify and communicate issues, positions, and opportunities both orally and in writing to management. Manage members of the tax accounting staff.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Review and oversee the preparation of tax returns for multiple business lines and investments, including multi-tier structures with complex carry arrangements and other special allocations. Some first-line preparation will be required.
- Research and prepare written support for significant positions reflected on the tax returns.
- Provide acquisition and divestiture services including tax advice and analysis to the business lines and financial planning group as new deals and ideas are considered.
- Review various legal documents including partnership agreements, purchase and sale agreements, letters of intent, and contribution agreements, and advise or redraft to optimize the tax implications of the language in the document.
- Participate in planning for business and cash flow needs considering the corresponding tax consequences.
- Provide support for responding to and resolving federal and state income tax audits and related issues.
- Provide (review and/or prepare) taxable income forecasts and other tax advice as needed for specific entities/transactions.
- Respond to ad hoc requests for taxable income estimates or other tax information from outside investors and their advisors.
- Assist in managing the retention of tax records, tax returns, and other documents.
- Conduct and manage various tax research projects as determined by business needs.
- Assist in the supervision of permanent tax staff, seasonal temporary staff and administrative personnel.
Education And Experience
A minimum of seven years’ experience is required with a Bachelor’s degree in Business or Accounting. Experience with pass-through taxation and compliance is required. Experience with hedge fund /private equity fund taxation is a plus. Active CPA license or JD/LLM is required; graduate degree in Taxation is a plus. Strong oral and written communication skills are essential.
Contact email@example.com for a private discussion with more detail or call 858.999.0053.