With all of the focus on FBARs and Form 8938s these days, it’s sometimes easy to forget about the other IRS international reporting forms. Below is a list of other important international reporting forms that relate to foreign asset reporting along with their penalties.

(1) Form 3520, Annual Return to Report Transactions With Foreign Trusts and Receipt of Certain Foreign Gifts: Under IRC § 6048, taxpayers must report various transactions involving foreign trusts, including creation of a foreign trust by a United States person, transfers of property from a United States person to a foreign trust, and receipt of distributions from foreign trusts. This return also reports the receipt of gifts from foreign entities under IRC § 6039F. The penalty for failing to file each one of these information Read More

Correcting Amendments to the FATCA Regulations will be Released TodayJust about everyone reading this blog is aware that the Internal Revenue Service has made international tax enforcement a top priority and that it is attempting to flush out taxpayers hiding assets offshore or earning unreported foreign income. One of the weapons available to the IRS is Form 926 “Return by a U.S. Transferor of Property to a Foreign Corporation”. In the wake of the UBS banking scandal, the IRS made significant changes to Form 926, requiring a greater amount of information than ever before. This is further discussed below.

What is Form 926? When is it Required?

US persons (e.g., US citizens, US green card holders) must make an information report to the IRS when making certain transfers to foreign (non-US) corporations. Specifically, when a US person transfers (or is treated under the tax rules as having transferred) property to a foreign corporation in certain “non-recognition” transactions (e.g., a contribution of capital to the company) a Form 926 must be filed and attached to that year’s income tax return. This is so, whether or not the property has appreciated in value. If cash is transferred to the corporation instead of property, the Form 926 must be filed when the cash transfers exceed US$100,000 over a 12-month period; or, regardless of amount, if immediately after the cash transfer, the transferor holds more than 10% of the total voting power or total value of the foreign corporation. Read More