Amended Returns

Debra Thompson

Oops! You’ve discovered an error after your tax return has been filed. What should you do? You may need to amend your return.

The IRS usually corrects math errors or requests missing forms (such as W-2s) or schedules. In these instances, do not amend your return. However, do file an amended return if any of the following were reported incorrectly: Read More

Have you ever filed your tax return only to later realize that it was not complete? You forgot to include some income, you left off a deduction, you did something incorrect on the return. Sometimes you may want to file now, then file later when that last document comes in. After all, you’re waiting for that fat refund. It’s a situation many of us have found ourselves in. The solution is to file an Amended Return, Form 1040X. The IRS lists “Ten Facts on Filing an Amended Tax Return.” They are listed here:

1. Use Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to file an amended tax return. An amended return cannot be e-filed. You must file it on paper.

2. You should consider filing an amended tax return if there is a change in your filing Read More