A minister who wishes to be exempt from social security/Medicare tax must file a Form 4361 with the IRS for approval. Before your application can be approved, the IRS must verify that you are aware of the grounds for exemption and that you want the exemption on that basis.
Tag Archive for Form 4361
One of the tax options given to a minister is the ability to opt out of social security. This is a step that should be taken after a great deal of deliberation, as the decision is irrevocable. In order to opt out, the minister must file Form 4361 and certify that he or she opposes, either conscientiously or because of religious principles, the acceptance of any public insurance (with respect to services performed as a minister), including social security and Medicare coverage. Note that the objection is to the use of ministerial earnings for public insurance. Economic considerations or other non-religious reasons are not valid factors for opting out. Unfortunately, many likely opt out for economic reasons. Some faith groups actively promote opting out for their ministers.
The minister opts out only in relation to ministerial earnings. If he or she is employed in a Read more
- Webinar Today! How To Use Video For Your BusinessBy Kat JenningsUnderstanding and using video is a powerful tool to have for your business. Looking at past trends, 2016 seems to be a huge year for using video. it has been reported that 61% of businesses in the […]
- 3 Important Multi-State Tax Facts Companies Need To KnowBy Monika MilesWhat do software companies need to know about when it comes to multi-state tax issues? Last year we shared an overview of nuances many in the field don’t think about, but need to consider when it […]
- Court Finds Couple Willfully Failed To File FBARBy Ephraim MossIf you thought FBAR penalties were more bark than bite, a recent U.S. District court case is sure to change your mind. In United States v. August Bohanec et ux, USDC CD Ca., No. 2:15-cv-04347 […]
- Medical Mileage Tax Deduction: Tips & IRS RequirementsBy AdvertorialWhen it comes to tracking your miles for taxes, we often talk about the mileage deduction and the mileage reimbursement. But there are other tax reasons to keep a mileage log. Let’s dive into the […]
- Why Your Accounting Firm Should Be Doing “Product Updates”By AdvertorialYou see them all the time from software companies, heck you’ve received two from us in the past month. Why do we do them? Very simply product updates make us money and they do this in three […]
- Webinar Today! How To Use Video For Your Business