A minister who wishes to be exempt from social security/Medicare tax must file a Form 4361 with the IRS for approval. Before your application can be approved, the IRS must verify that you are aware of the grounds for exemption and that you want the exemption on that basis.
Tag Archive for Form 4361
One of the tax options given to a minister is the ability to opt out of social security. This is a step that should be taken after a great deal of deliberation, as the decision is irrevocable. In order to opt out, the minister must file Form 4361 and certify that he or she opposes, either conscientiously or because of religious principles, the acceptance of any public insurance (with respect to services performed as a minister), including social security and Medicare coverage. Note that the objection is to the use of ministerial earnings for public insurance. Economic considerations or other non-religious reasons are not valid factors for opting out. Unfortunately, many likely opt out for economic reasons. Some faith groups actively promote opting out for their ministers.
The minister opts out only in relation to ministerial earnings. If he or she is employed in a Read more
Private And Confidential
Executive Search Services
- Wanted: Head of Tax/Treasury (Silicon Valley)By Kat JenningsTaxConnections has been retained by a very successful high technology company in Silicon Valley. The Head of Tax will work closely with C – Suite Executives in managing and reviewing global […]
- Taxpayer Advocate Service Provides Self-Help Tools to Assist Taxpayers With Complex Affordable Care Act RequirementsBy Nina OlsonWith the open enrollment period for the Health Insurance Marketplace beginning November 1st, it is the appropriate time to remind taxpayers and preparers of the various Affordable Care Act (ACA) […]
- Financial Planning Considerations For Mixed Nationality CouplesBy Hugo LesserU.S. citizenship-based taxation has many planning repercussions for mixed-nationality families (i.e., where only one spouse is a U.S. citizen), and these are particularly acute when a mixed […]
- Testimony: Businessman Abroad Affected By FATCABy John RichardsonTo Whom It May Concern: Thank you for the opportunity to comment to the Committee. Under normal circumstances I would introduce myself however, given present circumstances, I cannot as my status as a […]
- Tax Manager / Partnerships (Northern California)By Kat JenningsThe Tax Manager role requires partnership, S corporation, and high-net worth individual tax consulting/compliance experience and the skills to effectively diagnose clients’ needs in order to develop […]
- Wanted: Head of Tax/Treasury (Silicon Valley)