A minister who wishes to be exempt from social security/Medicare tax must file a Form 4361 with the IRS for approval. Before your application can be approved, the IRS must verify that you are aware of the grounds for exemption and that you want the exemption on that basis.
Tag Archive for Form 4361
One of the tax options given to a minister is the ability to opt out of social security. This is a step that should be taken after a great deal of deliberation, as the decision is irrevocable. In order to opt out, the minister must file Form 4361 and certify that he or she opposes, either conscientiously or because of religious principles, the acceptance of any public insurance (with respect to services performed as a minister), including social security and Medicare coverage. Note that the objection is to the use of ministerial earnings for public insurance. Economic considerations or other non-religious reasons are not valid factors for opting out. Unfortunately, many likely opt out for economic reasons. Some faith groups actively promote opting out for their ministers.
The minister opts out only in relation to ministerial earnings. If he or she is employed in a Read more
Private And Confidential
Executive Search Services
- Nine Tax Code “Head Scratchers”By John StancilHaving survived tax season for one more year, I was struck by how complex our tax code really is. I’ve been preparing taxes for over 40 years, yet I ran into several provisions that I had not […]
- Tax Job – Tax Manager/ Partnerships – Pleasanton, CABy Kat JenningsKat Jennings, TaxConnections CEO and internationally recognized tax search consultant, has worked with many firms over the years. One of her clients is an East Bay Area boutique tax […]
- What’s Simple About A Postcard Size Tax Return?By Annette NellenThe House Republican tax reform blueprint touts that the individual system would be so simplified that individuals would have a postcard-sized return. Speaker Paul Ryan’s 5/19/17 op ed in the […]
- Italy’s New Flat Tax For First-Time ResidentsBy Marco RossiWith the Budget Law for fiscal year 2017, Italy enacted a new flat tax for Italian first-time residents. The flat tax amounts to euro 100,000 regardless of the amount of taxable income. Foreign […]
- Georgia Sales And Use Tax Exemptions For ManufacturingBy Aaron GilesThere are many Georgia sales and use tax exemptions available to manufacturers operating within the state. In recent years, Georgia’s sales and use tax exemptions for manufacturers have broadened […]
- Nine Tax Code “Head Scratchers”