A minister who wishes to be exempt from social security/Medicare tax must file a Form 4361 with the IRS for approval. Before your application can be approved, the IRS must verify that you are aware of the grounds for exemption and that you want the exemption on that basis.
Tag Archive for Form 4361
One of the tax options given to a minister is the ability to opt out of social security. This is a step that should be taken after a great deal of deliberation, as the decision is irrevocable. In order to opt out, the minister must file Form 4361 and certify that he or she opposes, either conscientiously or because of religious principles, the acceptance of any public insurance (with respect to services performed as a minister), including social security and Medicare coverage. Note that the objection is to the use of ministerial earnings for public insurance. Economic considerations or other non-religious reasons are not valid factors for opting out. Unfortunately, many likely opt out for economic reasons. Some faith groups actively promote opting out for their ministers.
The minister opts out only in relation to ministerial earnings. If he or she is employed in a Read more
Want Us To Gift You
A Virtual Office?
Private And Confidential
Executive Search Services
- How TaxConnections Compares To Tax Law SitesBy Kat JenningsA lawyer asked me recently how TaxConnections compared to the sites of major law firms and Avvo. We took these statistics from Amazon/Alexa on March 28, 2017. If you are wondering why visitors […]
- Capital Gains Tax On Sale Of Principal Residence In CanadaBy John RichardsonThe price of Toronto real estate continues its upward trajectory. This morning I met with yet another (who could have known) Canadian resident who wishes to renounce U.S. citizenship. This person is […]
- ACA & The Tax Provisions It ProvidesBy Annette NellenLots of drama on possible repeal/repair of the Affordable Care Act with the House vote postponed to Friday (March 24) (see CNBC story). There are a lot of tax provisions in the ACA. I’ll share […]
- A Quick Refresher On The Foreign Tax CreditBy Ephraim MossOne of the fundamentally important tax concepts for U.S. expats to know is that the U.S. tax system has built-in mechanisms for preventing the “double taxation” of your income (i.e., tax in both your […]
- Captive Insurance Webinar – April 4thBy Hale StewartWhile captive insurance companies have been used by large companies for over 60 years, their use by small and medium sized companies is still in its infancy. There are numerous reason for this, but […]
- How TaxConnections Compares To Tax Law Sites