If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien living and working (or on military duty) outside the United States and Puerto Rico, June 15, 2015 is the filing due date for your 2014 income tax return and to pay any tax due. If your return has not been completed and you need additional time to file your return, file Form 4868 to obtain 4 additional months to file. Then, file Form 1040 by October 15, 2015. However, if you are a participant in a combat zone, you may be able to further extend the filing deadline (see below).

Caution: This is not an extension of time to pay your tax liability, only an extension to file the return. If you expect to owe, estimate how much and include your payment with the extension. If you owe taxes when you do file your extended tax return, you will be liable for both the late payment penalty and interest from the due date. Read More

What is the fastest way to get into deep trouble with the IRS?

You may think you know the answer, but you don’t.

It’s not: Not paying your taxes. The real answer is sticking your head in the sand and attempting to hide from the IRS. Maybe if you don’t pay taxes, the IRS will just go away – right? Wrong! That line of thinking is how a little debt turns into a mountain of financial problems. We can help, but as they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

What happens if you can’t pay your taxes? (It’s not as bad as you think!)

Read More