Mark Your Calendars for The Upcoming Event…
5th Annual IRS-SJSU Small Business Tax Institute
June 22, 2017—REGISTRATION NOW OPEN
Thriving in the Digital Economy – Best Practices for Small Businesses and Their Tax Advisers
IRS-SJSU Small Business Tax Institute Agenda
|8:00 – 8:20
||Breakfast and Networking Registration
|8:20 – 8:30
||· Vivienne Antal, Senior Stakeholder Liaison, IRS
· Annette Nellen, SJSU Graduate Tax Program
|8:30 – 10:10
||How to Successfully Deal with Correspondence Audits and IRS Notices
· A review of the process, relevant IRM procedures, types of audit letters and notices, how to get help, and more.
|· Caroline Chen, Esq., Professor, SJSU-moderator
· Torie Charvez, EA
· Barbara Doherty, Esq., The Law Offices of Barbara Doherty
· Gail Murphy, Exam Analyst, IRS HQ Exam Field & Campus Policy
|10:10 – 10:20
||Digital Security – Expanding Your Technical Awareness
· Understanding your technology to avoid weaknesses and problems. What should you be aware or and checking regualarly?
|· John Giordano, Cybersecurity Account Executive, SecureWorks
· Neal McCarthy, Cybersecurity Incident Response Consultant, SecureWorks
· Sean McLean, IT Director, Petrinovich Pugh & Company LLP – moderator
||FTB Taxpayer Advocate
||· Susan Maples, CPA, FTB Taxpayers’ Rights Advocate
|Noon – 1:00
||Lunch and Networking
|1:00 – 2:40
· Explanation and federal and state tax matters with a variety of scenarios.
|· Andy Mattson, Partern, Moss Adams
· Curtis N. Miyaji, CPA, Sr. Manager, Moss Adams LLP
· Dawn Rhea, Director, National Tax, Moss Adams LLP
|2:40 – 2:50
|2:50 – 3:40
||IRS Future State
· Learn about the IRS’ proposed new system for tax administration “to move the entire taxpayer experience to a new level.” How will this affect you and your clients?
|· Vivienne Antal, Senior Stakeholder Liaison, IRS
· Claudia Hill, EA, TaxMam, Inc.
· Gerry Kelly-Brenner, Senior Stakeholder Liaison, IRS
|3:40 – 4:30
||Mid-year Tax Update
· State of the tax law and prospects for the balance of the year
|· Joel Busch, CPA, Esq., Professor, SJSU
· Annette Nellen, CPA, CGMA, Esq., Professor, SJSU
June 22, 2017
8:00AM – 4:30PM
Biltmore Hotel, Santa Clara
REGISTRATION NOW OPEN
SJSU Tax Conferences
The SJSU MST Program manages and co-sponsors three annual tax conferences. Our hallmark High Tech Tax Institute, started in 1988, is a two-day conference held each November. Speakers and attendees come from around the world. Leading edge topics relevant to high tech companies and their tax professionals are addressed by nationally and internationally recognized practitioners and government representatives who have practical experience of implementation. The learning and networking opportunities makes the annual TEI-SJSU High Tech Tax Institute an invaluable educational tax experience for accountants, attorneys, and corporate representatives who serve high technology businesses.
In addition to the HTTI, we offer the TEI-SJSU Tax Policy Conference and the IRS-SJSU Small Business Tax Institute. Agendas for upcoming programs, as well as materials from past programs are at this website.
Annette Nellen, CPA, Esq., is a professor in and director of San Jose State University’s graduate tax program (MST), teaching courses in tax research, accounting methods, property transactions, state taxation, employment tax, ethics, tax policy, tax reform, and high technology tax issues.
Annette is the immediate past chair of the AICPA Individual Taxation Technical Resource Panel and a current member of the Executive Committee of the Tax Section of the California Bar. Annette is a regular contributor to the AICPA Tax Insider and Corporate Taxation Insider e-newsletters. She is the author of BNA Portfolio #533, Amortization of Intangibles.
Annette has testified before the House Ways & Means Committee, Senate Finance Committee, California Assembly Revenue & Taxation Committee, and tax reform commissions and committees on various aspects of federal and state tax reform.
Prior to joining SJSU, Annette was with Ernst & Young and the IRS.
Subscribe to TaxConnections Blog