Ask Tax Question

Sold law business and expanded new law practice to a county 300 miles away. Began commu it ing, but then rent a house to avoid the commuting expense. Homestead still in original county. Are rental expenses deductible in Schedule C?

Business Deductions
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Kathryn Morgan
It is all determined by intent. If your intent in having the new practice is for it to be temporary (less then one year) then you have temporary living expenses. If your intent is for it to last more then one year then (even though your home and family may still be in the original county) you have established a new tax home. Your tax home and your principal residence do not have to be in the same place.
Leave a Comment 297 weeks ago

User Photo
Darren Sanford
No, since you are not maintaining a home office in the rental house, the rental expense is not deductible.
Leave a Comment 284 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil

Lakeland, Florida, USA

Tax Advisor/CEO

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

New York, New York, USA

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Denver, Colorado, USA

Tax Director


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today