Email Contact Us

Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please Type Topic Into Search Bar

Is income of nonresident German research associate exempt under the US tax treaty with Germany?

I am from Germany and I work as a Research Associate on a J-1 visa for 1 year and a half. Since I heard about the tax treaty between Germany and the US, I applied for tax exemption in sponsor payroll office.

I have heard that if I stay longer than 2 years I have to pay back the taxes for the 2 years I was on exemption.
I am currently engage with a Us citizen and we are thinking on married next year.

My question is if I married before my 2 years exemption expires, do I still need to pay taxes back for the 2 years I was on the Germany-US TAX treaty exemption?
Any feedback will be appreciated.
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Gary Carter, PhD, MT, CPA
The retroactive clause in the treaty was amended with the 2006 protocol. You can access the German treaty through . The protocol says that the retroactive provision no longer applies if you exceed the two year period, but only if you are in the U.S. for a temporary visit after the two-year period. If you stay in the U.S. permanently, the retroactive provision apparently still applies.
Leave a Comment 597 weeks ago


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page

Contact Us Today