Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please Type Topic Into Search Bar

Is a Canadian resident/citizen with no physical presence in the US liable for US income taxes?

I work as an independent contractor doing IT work for a company based in the US. The company has asked me to sign a W-8 form. Am I liable for U S income tax? I work totally from Canada and do not travel to the US for work purposes.
Canadian Foreign
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Dean Marzullo
Income is derived from US Source - file a 1040NR
Leave a Comment 353 weeks ago

User Photo
John Stancil
If you are a nonresident alien providing services in a foreign country, you are not subject to US tax on this income.You must file Form W-8 to establish your foreign status. Wages for services provided by a nonresident alien outside the U. S. are not U S source income and not subject to U S taxation.
Leave a Comment 353 weeks ago


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today