Ask Tax Question

If I move to Canada, do I have to pay Canadian income tax on all my income (even income from outside of Canada)?

Canada Foreign Income Moving to Canada
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Blair Dwyer
Canada taxes its residents on worldwide income and capital gains. However, a new immigrant to Canada -- one who has never resided in Canada before -- can enjoy a Canadian tax holiday on non-Canadian income and capital gains for up to five years. To some extent, the five years is a "free trial" before one has to start paying Canadian tax on all income and capital gains (if one decides to stay beyond the five-year tax holiday).
To take advantage of this tax holiday, the new immigrant must contirbute non-Canadian assets to a non-Canadian trust and have the income earned by the trust. For example, assume that X has never previously resided in Canada and moves to Canada on January 1, 2012. Before moving to Canada, X contributes all X's assets to a non-Canadian trust. Any income earned in the trust in 2012 will not be subject to Canadian income tax. If the trust capitalizes that income on January 2013, the trust can even distribute that capitalized income to X without payment of Canadian tax.
The trust will become deemed a resident of Canada if X stays in Canada longer than 5 years. However, that deemed residence will arise only after the end of the 5 years. As a result, no Canadian income tax applies on income earned during those 5 years. As well, any capital gains that have accrued in the trust during those 5 years will not be subject to Canadian capital gains tax. Canada will tax only the gains that accrue after the end of the 5 years.
This type of trust is often referred to as an immigration trust. Of course, it must be properly structured in order to have the desired effect of insulating non-Canadian assets from Canadian tax for the 5-year "free trial" period.
Leave a Comment 273 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil

Lakeland, Florida, USA

Tax Advisor/CEO

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

New York, New York, USA

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Denver, Colorado, USA

Tax Director

User Photo Steven Potts JD EA IAR

Fullerton, California, USA


User Photo Caran Ebert, CPA

Topanga, California, USA

Tax Advisor

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

Rancho Santa Fe, California, USA

CEO/Certified Financial Advisor

User Photo Randy Tarpey

Tyrone , Pennsylvania, USA


User Photo Lisa Nason CPA, MST

Greenville, South Carolina, USA

Managing Shareholder

User Photo David Hughey, EA, MAcc

Longview, Washington, USA

Tax Consultant/Tax Advisor


Santa Clara, California, USA

Tax Principal - President

User Photo Bill Robinson, CPA

Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA


User Photo Hugo Van Zyl

Stellenbosch, South Africa

Exchange Control & Master Tax Practitioner (SA)

User Photo Douglas Stransky

Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Tax Partner, International Tax

User Photo Chad Hatalla

Rheinfelden, Switzerland

Senior Tax Manager

User Photo Larry Stolberg, CPA, CA

Toronto Mississauga Oakville Burlington Hamilton, Canada

Tax Specialist

View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page

Contact Us Today