Email Contact Us

Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please Type Topic Into Search Bar

I was married for 12 years. My ex always filed jointly. I filed for divorce April 17th 2019. When I went to check for 2018 taxes in the IRS website I somehow only saw my name and nothing else. I’ve been a stay at home mother this entire time.

Why is it that his name all of a sudden was not on the taxes for 2018? His name has been on all other years. He asked for an extension for 2018 after finding out I was filling for divorce. Is it even legal to take me off the 2018 taxes. I filed in 2019
Divorce and Taxes
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Manasa Nadig
We will need some clarification to answer this question. When you say you "checked for 2018 taxes in the IRS website", did you mean did you check for the 2018 taxes filed or your wage and income information? If certain requirements were met, it could be possible that your ex could have filed as "Married Filing Separately" and hence you do not see your information. Again, we need more clarification to be able to answer this question more accurately.
Leave a Comment 241 weeks ago

User Photo
John Dundon, II EA
The IRS will only provide information via transcript relevant to your Social Security number - even if you are filing a tax return with the Married Joint filing status. So if the 2018 income tax return is showing on the IRS Account Transcript as being filed under your Social Security number, then you can rest assured that a tax return was indeed filed. However - you both are obligated under penalty of perjury to sign a married/joint tax return. If you did not sign the 2018 tax forms and yet the 2018 tax forms were processed by the IRS then someone else (probably the X) would have had to sign your name to the tax forms. Forging a taxpayer's signature on income tax forms is fraudulent behavior.
Leave a Comment 238 weeks ago

User Photo
Michael Cash
Your husband may have elected to file a separate return which is his right. Economically this is probably not a smart move but it is legal. You need to discuss this with your attorney if you have one.
Leave a Comment 238 weeks ago


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page

Contact Us Today