Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please Type Topic Into Search Bar

I sold my primary home on a short sale in 2012. Do I need to report the amount of mortgage debt forgiven as income?

Mortgage Short Sale
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Gnanendrasinh Rathod
Yes, Mortgage debt forgiven report as Other Income on line 21 of 1040.
Leave a Comment 404 weeks ago

User Photo
Steven Potts JD EA
You can exclude canceled (forgiven) debt from income if it is qualified principal residence indebtedness (QPR). QPR is any mortgage you took out to buy, build, or substantially improve your main home. It also must be secured by your main home. QPR also includes debt secured by your main home that you used to refinance a mortgage you took out to buy, build, or substantially improve your main home but only up to the amount of the old mortgage principal just before the refinancing.
Leave a Comment 404 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil



User Photo Peter J. Scalise

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

New York, NY

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Tax Director

Denver, CO

User Photo John Richardson


Toronto, Canada

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

CEO/Certified Financial Advisor

Rancho Santa Fe, CA

User Photo Monika Miles


San Jose, CA

User Photo Blake Christian

Tax Partner

Long Beach/ Park City, CA


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today