Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please Type Topic Into Search Bar

I just became certified to be a tax preparer and need some advice on ways I can collect fees. Am I able to put part of the refund in my own account as the preparer? Also, I am having difficulty signing up for the e-services because I have not filed a return before so I am unable to apply for e-services online. Is there a paper application?

Tax Preparation
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Kathryn Morgan
Can you clarify what designation you have? Are you an RTRP? An EA? or a PTIN holder? All of these make a difference in the certification requirements and the way you can advertise. It also makes a difference on how you can sign up for e-services. No matter what designation you hold you may not under any circumstances have a refund split and put part into your account and the rest to the client. See IRS Circular 230 for those regulations. If you can provide some further info I can point you in the right direction.
Leave a Comment 423 weeks ago

User Photo
Question Owner
I have a PTIN and recently passed the test to be a RTRP.
Reply 423 weeks ago
User Photo
Kathryn Morgan
Sorry for the delay, I was out of pocket for a couple of days. Here is a link to the page with everything you need to know about e-services. There is a phone number on the top of the page for you to call and get assistance since you have a special situation. I do know that they will not even consider an application if you are not complaint with your own returns. You mentioned that you have never filed a return, I am assuming that you have had no requirement to do so.
Reply 422 weeks ago
User Photo
I collect my fees from my clients when I prepare their return. They can pay by cash, check, or credit
card. You have get authorized to accept credit cards. I let some of them wait until they get their refund to pay me. I don't know about a paper application for e-services. The IRS wants everything to be electronic. I take it you are an authorized e-file provider.
Leave a Comment 423 weeks ago

User Photo
Question Owner
I am in the process of becoming an e-file provider but I am unable to apply electronically because I have never filed a tax return for myself. I will be charging a fee to prepare returns for the first time this coming season. I did them voluntarily before. So I'm required to use E-file. I just don't know what form to fill out to become an e-file provider without having to have filed a return for myself previously.
Reply 423 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil



User Photo Peter J. Scalise

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

New York, NY

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Tax Director

Denver, CO

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

CEO/Certified Financial Advisor

Rancho Santa Fe, CA

User Photo Monika Miles


San Jose, CA

User Photo Blake Christian

Tax Partner

Long Beach/ Park City, CA

User Photo John Richardson


Toronto, Canada


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today