Email Contact Us

Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please Type Topic Into Search Bar

I don't get amended returns. Is it really necessary to file one if you only find slight discrepancies in your earnings, and what kind of work does doing so entail?

Income Tax
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
It depends on what you mean by "Slight Discrepancies." More than likely, if the difference is less than a dollar, the IRS will accept your return as it is. However, if it is more, it is better to be safe than sorry, and you should file an amended return.
Some tax returns are simple and some are not. The same is true for amending a tax return. It depends on how many documents were left out, how much the discrepancies are, and the reason, or reasons, you need to file an amended return.
If you prepared your own return, consider having a tax professional review it to determine if it needs to be amended.
If it was prepared by a tax professional, take it back to them and point out the discrepancies. I would also suggest getting a second opinion, if you feel it is necessary.
I hope this helps.
Leave a Comment 475 weeks ago


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page

Contact Us Today