Ask Tax Question

I declared Chapter 7 Bankruptcy which discharged my state and federal tax debt for the previous two years, but the IRS did not suspend collection activity or even honor the ""stay" plus 6 months; though they acknowledge the bankruptcy in account transcripts. How do I handle this?

I have written to the IRS, called them, faxed the entire bankruptcy file to various offices, with no response. I was told by IRS in Andover MA, to pay what I owe and file a form 843 for a refund. Where is the fresh start? He continued, stating IRS expects taxpayers to pay first before they will consider abatement, refund, etc. Is this true even if tax was discharged?
Abatement Back Taxes Forgiveness of Debt
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
John Dundon, II EA
If you filed the petition for protection within 2 years of having the balance due assessed by the IRS then you prematurely filed.  Check out some of my musings on the topic here ->">

The last time I encountered this problem the resolution came about with a call to the IRS Collections function and a staff person there agreeing to classify the balances due in dispute as 'currently not collectible' with the reasonable cause being the chapter 7 petition.  Of course this is not a complete relief of debt as there are certain obligations you will have as a taxpayer going forward but it is as close as you can get.

The other lesson I learned was never to trust the competency of bankruptcy attorneys anywhere regardless of where they 'earned' their degree or who they work for as there are incompetent people in all walks of life with all sorts of prestigious degrees and accolades.  
Leave a Comment 221 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil

Lakeland, Florida, USA

Tax Advisor/CEO

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

New York, New York, USA

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Denver, Colorado, USA

Tax Director

User Photo Steven Potts JD EA IAR

Fullerton, California, USA


User Photo Caran Ebert, CPA

Topanga, California, USA

Tax Advisor

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

Rancho Santa Fe, California, USA

CEO/Certified Financial Advisor

User Photo Randy Tarpey

Tyrone , Pennsylvania, USA


User Photo Lisa Nason CPA, MST

Greenville, South Carolina, USA

Managing Shareholder

User Photo David Hughey, EA, MAcc

Longview, Washington, USA

Tax Consultant/Tax Advisor


Santa Clara, California, USA

Tax Principal - President

User Photo Hugo Van Zyl

Stellenbosch, South Africa

Exchange Control & Master Tax Practitioner (SA)

User Photo Douglas Stransky

Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Tax Partner, International Tax

User Photo Chad Hatalla

Rheinfelden, Switzerland

Senior Tax Manager

User Photo Larry Stolberg, CPA, CA

Toronto Mississauga Oakville Burlington Hamilton, Canada

Tax Specialist

User Photo Dr. Daniel Erasmus

West Palm Beach, Florida, USA

Managing Partner/EMEA

View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page

Contact Us Today