Ask Tax Question

How do I fill out the form for FUEL TAX CREDIT for a Sole Proprietor that owns and runs an 18 Wheeler. They bought over 22,000 gallions of gas last year.

Fuel Tax Credit
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Caran Ebert, CPA
A sole proprietor that owns and runs an 18 wheeler is probably using diesel fuel pumped from a truck stop. Federal excise taxes are imposed on diesel as well as other fuels. Claiming a Fuel Tax Credit on diesel fuel is only available for vehicles used in farming, off-highway business use, commercial fishing boats, aviation, trains, and other government and nonprofit organizations. Publication 510 describes Excise Taxes as well as the instructions for Form 4136 Credit for Federal Tax Paid on Fuels can be downloaded from the IRS website at
Leave a Comment 168 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil

Lakeland, Florida, USA

Tax Advisor/CEO

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

New York, New York, USA

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Denver, Colorado, USA

Tax Director


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today