Email   Contact Us

Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please Type Topic Into Search Bar

1099-Misc I am preparing a 1099misc for a nonemployee. We gave this individual a check in the amount of $623, however, the check broke down into two parts: $678 non-employee compensation LESS an amount of $55 for which the individual owed us. Is the 1099misc to be filled out for the portion of that individual’s check eligible for 1099 ($678) or for the actual check amount ($623)?

Form 1099
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Pat Michael, EA
Based on the information you have supplied I would issue the 1099-MISC for $678.00. Just because the non-employee owed you $55.00 doesn't mean he or she didn't earn $678.00. In other words you paid the worker what he or she earned.($678.00) They took $55.00 of that and paid off a debt. The money didn't move from you to them and back to you again but the end result is the same.
Leave a Comment 371 weeks ago


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page

Contact Us Today