Taxes For U.S. Expatriates Living In Mexico

What U.S. citizens in Mexico need to know about their tax obligations?

Are you one of the more than 1 million expats living out your golden years in Mexico? Social Security and pension checks certainly go far in this tropical paradise, but there are two important things for US expats in Mexico to remember to do in the spring of each year: file a US tax return, file a Mexican tax return. You want to stay tax compliant no matter where you choose to spend your time.

The hard truth is that US citizens and green card holders worldwide are required to file US tax returns each year. Like in other countries, US expats in Mexico have the option to claim the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE) only if they file taxes on time- an excellent reason not to delay! You get an automatic extension to June 15th as an expat living abroad, but this is a filing extension, not a tax owed extension so be sure to make any necessary payments on taxes owed before April 15thto avoid penalties and interest.

Mexico is also required to comply with the FATCA, or Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act. So any assets you have in a Mexican financial intuition will likely be reported to the US treasury. Be sure to include any foreign earned interest on your US tax return documents.

You may be eligible to take a deduction or credit for the income taxes paid to a foreign country or U.S. possession. A deduction would reduce your U.S. taxable income, while a credit would reduce your U.S. tax liability. It is always important to contact a professional tax preparer to look at your personal situation, however, in most cases, the credit will be the best option. To claim the Foreign Tax Credit, file Form 1116 (corporations will need to file Form 1118). Bear in mind that the amount of tax credit claimed is not always the same as the amount paid due to various income tax treaties.

Pro tip 1: Don’t delay! File your taxes before June 15th if at all possible. If you won’t file until later in the Spring, make a payment of taxes owed to avoid penalties and interest.

Mexican Income Tax And Available Credits

Permanent residents of Mexico who are in the country over 183 days are considered tax residents. If you are a full-time resident of Mexico, you will be taxed on your worldwide income. The good news is that you can claim a credit for any taxes that you pay to another country against your Mexican income tax.

Do you earn money in Mexico either through work or investment? Mexico follows a progressive personal tax rate system with top earners paying 35% and the poorest paying less than 2%.

Unlike in the U.S., Mexican tax reporting laws require that spouses report their income separately. Furthermore, there is no standard deduction. However, it is possible to take personal allowances and credits. Currently, these include:

  • Home mortgage interest
  • Contributions to accounts/systems
  • Medical costs
  • Funeral expenses
  • Education costs for dependent children

Tax calendars similar to the U.S. are followed in Mexico. Individual tax returns are due April 30th for the previous year but don’t wait until tax season to pay your taxes. For those who do not have taxes withheld by an employer, estimated taxes must be paid quarterly.

Pro tip 2: Check the calendar and determine if you are tax resident in Mexico. Did you spend more than 183 days in the country last year?

What Should Tax Residents In Mexico Know?

So you want to move to Mexico? Great! But it is important to have your documents in a row. You should start by gaining legal status to be in the country. You can enter the country and stay as a tourist with the Mexican Tourist Card, formerly called FMT, obtained at the port of entry for about $20 for only 180 days. If you intend to be around longer, there are two types of Mexican residence visas for you to consider.

Residente Temporal, formerly called FM2, is a temporary resident. This is for people who have a job offer in the country, a person who can prove financial independence or people with a marital link to a Mexican citizen or another resident. You will need to complete paperwork to prove financial independence. If you have a job offer or a pension you will need to show that you have income greater than 400 days of the Mexican minimum wage, currently $88.36 MXN daily. That comes out to about $1,939.79 USD given current exchange rates. Alternatively, you can show an average monthly account balance equivalent to 20,0000 days of the Mexican minimum wage, about $96,989.35 USD. These amounts are for a single person, those with a partner will need to increase the amounts by about 50%. You can hold a temporary visa for up to four years after which time you can either leave Mexico or switch to a permanent visa.

Residente Permanente, formerly called FM3, is a permanent resident status. This is ideal for a retired person, someone who owns property in Mexico, or a person with investments in Mexico. Again, as with the temporary resident visa, you will need to show financial stability by proving an income of 20,000 days. This visa is open-ended so you can hold it for as long as you continue to qualify.

Whichever you choose to obtain, you must start the process at a Mexican Consulate in your home country. It is common for most people to start with the Residente Temporal for 4 years, then to get the Residente Permanente, and then possibly move on to Mexican citizenship. Both can be applied for on your own, or you can employ the help of an immigration specialist.

Have a question? Contact Olivier Wagner.

Your comments are always welcome!

Olivier Wagner

Certified Public Accountant, U.S. immigrant, expat, and perpetual traveler Olivier Wagner preaches the philosophy of being a worldly American. He uses his expertise to show you how to use 100% legal strategies (beyond traditionally maligned “tax havens”) to keep your income and assets safe from the IRS. Before obtaining my U.S. citizenship and traveling all over the world, he was born and raised in France. His experience learning the intricacies of the U.S. immigration process combined with his desire to travel freely lead me to specialize in taxes for Americans living and working abroad. He helps Americans Abroad file their taxes and devise strategies that make sense for their lifestyle. These strategies encompass all aspects of registering an offshore business, opening a bank account abroad, and planning out new residencies and citizenships. He is operating the accounting firm 1040 Abroad. 1040 Abroad exists to help you make sense of an incredibly large world of possibilities. Find out more by visiting

Subscribe to TaxConnections Blog

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.