TaxConnections has been retained by a client that is absolutely a great place to work. It is an opportunity of a lifetime for a tax professional in an exciting, trendy part of San Francisco, CA.
Tax Manager (San Francisco, CA)
The Tax Manger will be responsible for assisting senior tax management with tax research and planning and all aspects of the tax compliance and forecasting for a very significant investment partnership and the related investment management entity. Individual must have a solid understanding of current tax laws including knowledge of investment partnership structures. Researching and communicating the tax consequences of current and proposed investments will be a part of the responsibilities of the successful candidate.
In addition, the position will require both the preparation and review of highly detailed complex Federal, California and multi-state income tax returns, foreign investment reporting implications, preparation of tax forecasts and researching complex tax issues.
The Tax Manager must be able to perform multiple tasks, have proven project management skills and produce high quality, accurate and detailed work on a timely basis. Also, must be able to timely identify and communicate issues, positions, and opportunities both orally and in writing to management.
Responsibilities include the following:
Tax Research and Planning
• Responsible for ensuring tax compliance with the changing tax legislation, including modeling the expected impact of tax law changes.
• Manage tax forecasting process for quarterly and year end reporting to limited partners and GP, with consideration to each investor’s tax profile.
• Initiate and drive special projects to improve compliance processes, tax analysis of transactions and other business initiatives with minimum direction from management.
• Participate in tax planning activities for the fund and the limited partners.
• Support investment management team with various projects, such as tax-efficiency analyses, tax implications of investment vehicles and structures, and calculation of after-tax returns and effective tax rates of reporting items.
• Working in tandem with the Senior Investment Accountant, the Manager will regularly interact with an outside CPA firm for the preparation of all tax compliance related to the large investment partnership and the management entity. Related tasks include: provides tax documentation and workpaper support to tax preparer; reviews federal and state tax workpapers, partnership K-1s, and tax returns in detail for accuracy and consistency.
• Review investment statements and activities and reconcile to related income tax reporting (Form 1099s, Schedule K-1s, etc.).
• Responsible for timely filing of all tax compliance.
• Analyze monthly/quarterly tax and accounting information for the investment partnership and provide allocations by partner for quarterly tax estimates.
• Track new legislation as applicable to the fund and the members of the fund. Monitor pending tax legislation and present relevant findings to management as applicable.
• Working in tandem with the Senior Investment Accountant, the Manager will regularly interact and manage the day to day relationship with an outside CPA firm for the preparation of large investment partnership accounting records.
• Review monthly accounting work outsourced to a CPA firm for one large investment partnership including reconciliation to information provided by the financial custodian and certain other managed investment accounts.
• Demonstrated ability and desire to work in a team-oriented environment.
• Works closely, and regularly, with Director to define the resource needs of the group and implement change as deemed necessary. Ability to think beyond the current reality – technologies, team members, workload, workstyle, etc. – and present proposals for improvement.
• Development of senior accountant. Support the senior accountant in defining her / his career goals and helping her / him in setting up a plan with established and quantifiable milestones. Provide frequent, timely and meaningful feedback.
• Experience with partnership taxation and compliance is required. Prior supervisory experience is preferred. Experience with hedge fund/private equity fund taxation is a plus. Active CPA license is required. Graduate degree in Taxation is a plus. Strong oral and written communication skills are essential.
This position requires a thorough knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, financial concepts and principles (statements and footnotes), especially relating to accounting for investments. Must have the ability to read, analyze and interpret common accounting and technical journals, financial reports and legal and investment documents. This person should also have extensive knowledge and demonstrated skill in the specialized field of investment accounting, reporting and income taxation.
Would you like to ensure your privacy and find out more?
Subscribe to TaxConnections Blog
Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.