Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please enter your input in search

US Tax: Property Transfers At Divorce And The Foreign (Non-US) Spouse

House and lawAs if divorce were not a stressful enough time, the complexities of the US tax rules when a non-US spouse is involved just make it all the more unbearable.

Here are the US Tax basics to keep in mind with respect to property transfers. (Payments of alimony will be the subject of another tax blog posting).

You May Have Both Income Tax and Gift Tax Issues

Under the general US tax rules, asset transfers between spouses incident to a divorce are tax-free under Code Section 1041. There is no realization of a gain or loss by the transferor-spouse upon such a transfer of property. Instead, the transfer is treated as a “gift”. If the spouses are both US citizens, the case is straightforward and simple – no US Income tax or Gift tax consequences will result. Not so simple if one spouse is a non-US citizen and even more complex if the non-citizen spouse is also a “nonresident” alien (NRA).

A transfer is treated as incident to a divorce if it takes place within a year of the divorce or is “related to the cessation of the marriage”. Generally, a transfer is related to the cessation of the marriage if it is pursuant to a divorce or separation agreement and occurs not more than 6 years after the date on which the marriage ceases.

Very significantly, in order for the income tax-free treatment of Code Section 1041 to apply, the recipient of the property cannot be a “nonresident alien” (NRA). For example, if you transfer appreciated stock to your NRA spouse as part of the divorce settlement, you will have to pay tax on the inherent gain in the stock, generally just as if you sold it. In addition you may have Gift Tax consequences.

When the recipient spouse is a US citizen, the Gift Tax will not apply because gifts made between spouses are entitled to a so-called “unlimited marital deduction” which will shield the giver of the gift from any US Gift Tax. The key is that the recipient must be a US citizen. When the recipient spouse is not a US citizen, the unlimited federal gift tax marital deduction does not apply, even if the recipient is a US “resident” for Income tax purposes. Instead, gifts to non-citizen spouses have a very large annual exclusion which is indexed annually for inflation. For 2013, the amount that can be given to a non-citizen spouse free of US Gift Tax is $143,000.

The combination of the US Income Tax and US Gift tax rules means that every property settlement incident to a divorce when the recipient is not a US citizen must be scrutinized for both potential Income tax and Gift tax liability which can be imposed on the transferor-spouse. Just because your spouse may hold dual or triple citizenships will not change his or her US citizen status for purposes of these rules.

Who is a Nonresident Alien?

Remember, the different income tax rule applies only if the spouse receiving the property is a “nonresident alien”. This means he or she is not a US citizen and also not a US “resident” for income tax purposes.

Whether an individual is a US “resident” is not as easy to ascertain. For US income tax purposes, a resident is an individual who holds a US “green card” or who meets the so-called “substantial presence” test. This generally means that the person spends a sufficient number of days in the United States every year.

An individual will qualify under the substantial presence test if either he is physically present: (1) in the US for 183 days or more during the current calendar year or, (2) for at least 31 days during the current calendar year and the sum of the days present in the US during the current calendar year, plus one-third of the days he was present in the US during the immediately preceding calendar year, plus one-sixth of the days he was present in the second preceding calendar year, is 183 days or more. Various exceptions apply and a full discussion should take place with tax counsel in order to make sure of the recipient spouse’s tax status. For more information on the rules, see IRS Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.

Who Pays What?

In addition to complexities added because of having a nonresident alien spouse, other tricky areas require special attention when transferring property at divorce. Divorcing spouses should pay special attention to whether the asset transferred will yield US-source income taxable to the NRA spouse if he or she takes that item of property. If the parties are dividing property that includes a US rental property, US stocks or US debentures, for example, the question of how the income (e.g., rental, dividends, interest) will be taxed should be considered. Generally, the US rent is taxed either at graduated rates on a net basis or through 30% withholding at source; US dividends are usually taxed at a 30% or lower treaty rate at source and US interest may be tax-free if it qualifies as “portfolio interest” and proper documentation is in place with the US payor. Proper tax advice should be undertaken to ensure the properties are divided up in the most tax-efficient manner.

“Basis” Considerations

The concept of “basis” or “cost basis” is very important. For purposes of the US tax laws, “basis” is the original cost of property, adjusted for certain factors such as depreciation. When property is sold, basis is a key determinant in the taxpayer’s calculation of US income tax due. The taxpayer pays taxes on a capital gain (or takes a capital loss) that equals the “amount realized” on the sale (usually this is the sales proceeds) minus the sold property’s” basis”.

The parties should be very cautious about which assets they agree to keep, give or take in the property settlement. They should seek proper counsel for assistance in examining the US tax bill inherent in the assets they agree to take or keep in a divorce settlement. For example, assume each of the US and NRA spouses own an equal amount of US stocks acquired during the marriage and having a basis of $15 per share but with a current market value of $65 per share. Upon a later sale, the US spouse will pay US Income tax on the gain of $50 per share. Due to a special tax law exception for sales of US stocks by NRAs, no US Income tax will be due on that gain when the stock is sold by the NRA spouse (assuming the spouse does not have significant physical presence in the US in the year of the sale). However, if the couple owns US rental properties, different considerations come into play. The property will have been depreciated and will have a lower basis as a result. Further, a sale of that property by either the US or non-US spouse will result in US tax on the gain.

In addition, the parties must ensure in writing that each will agree to provide access to all records that will permit proof to the IRS of the cost or adjusted basis of each asset.

Basis of Asset Received in Divorce Settlement

If the rules of Code Section 1041 apply giving tax-free treatment to the transferor-spouse, an asset received in a property settlement will be taken by the transferee-spouse with what is called a “carry-over” basis (the transferee takes over the transferor’s basis in the property). This carry-over basis rule applies to all property received by way of “gift”. Since the rules of Section 1041 do not apply when property is transferred to a nonresident alien spouse, this carry-over basis rule would not apply when the recipient is a NRA. The recipient spouse should be viewed as releasing marital rights or other valuable consideration in exchange for the property received, with the result that the recipient will take a basis equal to the fair market value of the property received.

Divorces involving dual national couples when one is a non US citizen require extra care and attention to detail for many reasons. This is especially true of the US tax issues involved in such cases. Professional assistance is your best bet.


Virginia La Torre Jeker J.D., has been a member of the New York Bar since 1984 and is also admitted to practice before the United States Tax Court. She has 30 years of experience specializing in US and international tax planning as well as international commercial transactions. She has been based in Dubai since 2001; prior to that time she worked in Hong Kong for 15 years as a US tax consultant for international law firms, major banks (including HSBC) international accounting firms (Deloitte) and trust companies. Early in her career she worked in New York with the top-tier international law firm, Willkie Farr & Gallagher.

Virginia is regularly asked to speak at numerous conferences and seminars for various institutes and commercial organizations; publishes a vast array of scholarly works in her area of expertise, been interviewed by CNN and is regularly quoted (or has her articles featured) in local and international publications. She was recently appointed to the Professional Tax Advisory Council, American Citizens Abroad, Geneva, Switzerland. She was a guest lecturer at the University of Hong Kong, LL.M Program (Law Department) and served as an adjunct Business Law professor at the American University of Dubai and at the American University of Sharjah where she also taught the legal / ethical aspects of internet law and internet based transactions.


Subscribe to TaxConnections Blog

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.