This article will discuss the requirements to claim a child as a dependent and the requirements for a non-custodial parent to claim an exemption. It also discusses the ”tie breaker” rule, voluntary release of the exemption by the custodial parent to the non-custodial parent, and a recent Tax Court decision that dealt with this issue.
Tag Archive for Scholarships
My husband and I chartered a course ourselves long ago in the stormy waters of visas, tax treaties and tax consequences. Considering taxes have just got even more complicated, so its no surprise that I field quite a lot of questions from various visa holders especially foreign students on F-1 visas. Suffice to say that the range of information for foreign students is too much to cover in one blog post, so I will focus on the main points. If you need any more information, you know where to reach me!
If you are a foreign student, you already know from your university that you are one of those who are subject to special rules with respect to the taxation of your income. Usually a foreign student is on an F, J, M, or Q visa. Read more
- “Where’s My Refund?” – IRS ChangesBy John StancilSo you get all your tax information together early and go to your preparer so you can file your tax return early and get the refund quickly. Not so fast. Certain refunds will be delayed and will not […]
- Canadian Tax – Government Taxes Payable On Balance SheetBy Grant GilmourWhat are Government Taxes Payable on a Balance Sheet? The Government Taxes Payable category appears under Current Liabilities on a Balance Sheet as it is expected that the amounts owing will be paid […]
- Valuation Of Your Business – Basis For Tax PlanningBy Ronald OddoFew business owners relish spending money on something they don’t need. And for most owners, hiring an expert to estimate the value of their companies falls into that don’t-need category. So it is no […]
- Look At The TaxConnections Job Listings!By AdvertorialLooking for a tax job? Trying to kick-start your career in a new city? At TaxConnections, we try to connect you with the best tax opportunities available. The tax job opportunities listed on our […]
- Webinar Today! How To Use Video For Your BusinessBy Kat JenningsUnderstanding and using video is a powerful tool to have for your business. Looking at past trends, 2016 seems to be a huge year for using video. it has been reported that 61% of businesses in the […]
- “Where’s My Refund?” – IRS Changes