Fair Tax Competition: The country should not have harmful tax regimes, which go against the principles of the EU’s Code of Conduct or OECD’s Forum on Harmful Tax Practices. Those that choose to have no or zero-rate corporate taxation should ensure that this does not encourage artificial offshore structures without real economic activity. In the context of the screening process, the Code of Conduct Group invited each jurisdiction where concerns were identified to commit to address such concerns. The large majority of jurisdictions have decided to introduce the relevant changes in their tax legislation in order to comply with the EU screening criteria. The following jurisdictions are committed to addressing the concerns relating to economic substance by 2018: Bermuda; Cayman Islands; Guernsey; Isle of Man; Jersey; and Vanuatu.
Tag Archive for Offshore Financial Center
What is the Economic Activity Requirement that Offshore Financial Center’s Agreed to Adopt into Law?
The purpose of this section is to provide a cursory view of foreign trusts and financial planning, the emphasis of which is asset protection from judgments. The basic taxation regime of a foreign trust can be reviewed in a previous writing, Income Taxation of Foreign Trusts and Beneficiaries, TaxConnections, November 25, 2013.
The focus here is the treatment by the United States taxing authority upon a foreign trust pertaining to the tax consequences subsequent to transfer. The points of relevance are the income tax treatment to the Settlor, beneficiary, and trust and the consequential use of the Read more
- Renegotiating NAFTA: Are We There Yet?By Dan McGeownCanadians could be forgiven for experiencing at least some NAFTA fatigue. The talks that began back in August have moved along in fits and starts — with little to show in tangible outcomes. […]
- The Battle Of Ohio Municipal Tax Is Here: Will Common Sense Prevail?By Thomas ZainoAm. Sub. H.B. 49 (the “Bill”), Ohio’s biennial budget bill, enacted significant new features to assist taxpayers in complying with Ohio’s onerous municipal income tax system. […]
- The SCIN-GRAT Technique- Especially Appropriate For Older GrantorsBy Brett ThompsonThis SCIN-GRAT uses two well-known and documented techniques used to co-ordinate family gifting and tax efficiency. The first is known as a Self-Cancelling Installment Note, or “SCIN” for reference. […]
- Current State Tax Amnesty ProgramsBy tram leDo you owe tax in Connecticut, Ohio, Rhode Island or Texas? If so, you should consider participating in an available amnesty program. Amnesty programs are occasionally offered by states and generally […]
- Looking For A Tax Job ? – TaxConnections Community Provides More OpportunitiesBy Kat JenningsBy popular demand, many companies are requesting to advertise their tax jobs on TaxConnections. Smart companies understand it makes sense to advertise tax jobs on the leading tax community for tax […]
- Renegotiating NAFTA: Are We There Yet?