Richard Lehman, Tax Advisor

As a general rule, nonresident alien individuals and foreign corporations are not subject to tax unless the income is “from a United States source”. There are different rules to determine when income is from a United States source.

Nonresident alien individuals are taxed differently than the United States taxpayers on passive income such as interest and dividends and royalties.

This pattern requires the foreign taxpayer to pay an amount on the gross income that is earned. Insofar as business income earned by the foreign taxpayers, they are taxed the same as United States taxpayers, except they will only be taxed on their United States source income. Read More