Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please enter your input in search

Email   Contact Us

CRA Forms T1134 and T1135 Often Missed by Canadian U.S. Real Estate Investors

The T1134 and T1135 are a sample of Canadian foreign information returns like the U.S. 8938, 5471 or 8865.

A number of Canadians are investing in the U.S. real estate market with a U.S. limited partnership whose limited partners are solely Canadian residents and the general partner is a U.S. C corporation whose shareholders are also Canadian residents.

For those who want limited liability protection, this type of investment vehicle is often proposed because the conventional U.S. LLC does not work or is not treaty- friendly for an in-bound investment into the United States, from the Canadian perspective. This route has become the norm in recent years as opposed to the Canadian investor investing into the U.S. directly or indirectly through a Canadian corporation and/or a U.S. C corporation which work, however may raise repatriation tax issues and additional compliance fees. These type of investment have arisen in recent years due to the widespread Canadian investment in depressed U.S. real estate.

Likely Case Situation

Mr. X, a Canadian (non-resident alien for U.S. tax purposes), sets up the U.S. LP, usually Mr. X and family members are limited partners and the general partner is a U.S. C corporation wholly-owned by Mr. X or related members.  For the C corporation, it would be a foreign affiliate of the Canadian shareholders and in most cases, it would be a controlled foreign affiliate of the taxpayer requiring the filing of CRA Form T1134 (due 15 months after then end of the taxation year of the taxpayer).

The instructions to Form T1134 state that the form is not required where the foreign affiliate is inactive or dormant.  The administrative policy threshold for the filing of the T1134 is a function gross receipts of the foreign affiliate as well as the taxpayer’s share investment in the foreign affiliate and the value of property owned by the foreign affiliate. Where gross receipts are under $25KCdn. and the share investment is under $100KCdn. and the fair market value of the underlying assets of the CFA or FA are not over $1MCdn., then there is no requirement to file the form for the particular taxation year, however there still could be a FAPI issue.  Therefore, one may have to file for some years and not others.

It has recently come to my attention that although not written in the instructions to the T1134 form nor written in the legislation, a 2012 Windows on Canadian tax document, released on July 8, 2013 issued by CRA indicates that where there is a foreign affiliate who is a general partner, total gross receipts of the partnership are taken into account and not the general partner’s share. Based on this interpretation, is is more than likely that CRA Form T1134 will be required annually.

The T1135 is a required filing by the U.S. partnership because the partnership is regarded as a “Canadian specified entity” by virtue of its holding U.S. situs property with a cost amount greater than $100KCdn. and more than 90% of its members are not non-residents of Canada. If the T1135 is not required by the U.S. LP, it may be required by the Canadian partner, if their basis in the partnership is over $100KCdn.The T1135 is due 3 months after the end of the taxation year of the U.S. partnership.

Filing extensions?

Both T1134 and T1135 have no filing extensions available. The minimum penalties not filing for each annual form is $2,500 per year with higher penalties for gross negligence. A number of taxpayers are using the Canadian voluntary disclosure program to submit forms that are past-due of at least one year to waive penalties. The program allows one to go back 10 years. CRA Information Circular Ic00-1R4 outlines the criteria for the program with CRA Form RC199 being the voluntary disclosure application.

Computation of income for Canada

In addition to not filing the T1134, should the general partner be a controlled foreign affiliate (“CFA”), FAPI (“foreign accrual property income”), to the extent of the Canadian investor’s share of the CFA must be included in their tax return with a corresponding increase in basis of the share investment in the CFA.

Think of this a similar to the U.S. CFC or PFIC rules with a QEF election in place.

On the computation net rental or FAPI, net rental income should be determined under the Canadian Income Tax Act. Therefore, one needs the underlying basis of the property to determine capital cost allowance as opposed to taking the net rental from the IRS Form K-1. This information is required to report the correct net rental income on the Canadian tax returns for the limited partners.

Hopefully you will have that information available to you or even the IRS 1065 partnership tax return. Different results will occur, especially if the U.S. LP happens to own Canadian real estate which when sold, will require applications for clearance T2062/T2062A.  For Canadian clearance, they often ask for supporting documentation, so hopefully information reported in prior years has been done correctly.




Larry Stolberg, CPA, CA, CPA (South Carolina), has been practicing as a full-time tax specialist for over 30 years, in the Toronto, Ontario Canada and surrounding GTA area with primary emphasis on:

•Corporate restructuring for business owners
•Estate/succession planning
•U.S. expatriate and cross border issues
•Tax efficient planning that will achieve both your short and long term objectives

Facebook Twitter Google+ 

Subscribe to TaxConnections Blog

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.


One thought on “CRA Forms T1134 and T1135 Often Missed by Canadian U.S. Real Estate Investors

  1. Nadine Lajoie says:

    > Hello,
    > I became a US resident in March 2015, after being a double resident since 2009, and in the process to correct everything with voluntary disclosures in USA, but I need a Canadian specialist to complete t1134 t1135, voluntary disclosures and reasonable clause letter. Can you do the Canadian side or supervise me if I do it mostly by myself?
    > > And for 2016-2017, can you do my personal and business Canadian tax returns?
    > >
    > > Please let me know. Thanks
    > >
    > > Nadine 949-421-7562

Comments are closed.