Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please enter your input in search

Archive for Tax Credits – Energy

Lowering A Corporation’s Effective Tax Rate With Tax Credits

Michael Korengold GOLD

Corporate Tax Directors are in a unique position to add immense value by exploring ways to lower their corporation’s effective tax rate.  Tax Directors must walk a fine line of getting this important mission accomplished or being too creative in taking unnecessary risks.

Insured Tax Credit Investments provide a practical option to lower a corporation’s effective tax rate with the downside covered by insurance.

How do Tax Credits work?

  • Tax credit programs are government sponsored initiatives designed to encourage taxpayers to help finance solar projects, historic building redevelopment and affordable housing
  • Corporate taxpayer repurposes tax payment reserves into qualifying tax credit projects
  • Taxpayer receives tax credits, project cash flows and an exit payment
  • Tax credit investors generate a return on their tax payments, thus boosting their after-tax income and lowering their effective tax rate
  • Returns are predominantly uncorrelated with project performance – taxpayers earn the tax credits as long as the project maintains regulatory compliance.
  • An insurance policy eliminates the compliance risk and, as such, allows a taxpayer to generate a yield on their tax payments without the risk of losing the tax credits 

Read more

Budget Act of 2018 (BBA) Extended Credits – Residential Energy Credits – Form 5695

IRS - Residential Energy Tax Credits

Budget Act of 2018 (BBA) Extended Credits 

The BBA reinstated the nonbusiness energy property credit for 2017, and it reinstated the residential energy efficient property credit for qualified small wind energy property costs, qualified geothermal heat pump property costs, and qualified fuel cell property costs to the end of 2021.

You may claim these credits on your 2017 tax return if you otherwise meet the criteria. If you have already filed your return, you will need to file an amended return (Form 1040X) to claim these credits.

Purpose of Form

Use Form 5695 to figure and take your residential energy credits. The residential energy credits are:

  • The residential energy efficient property credit, and
  • The nonbusiness energy property credit.

Also use Form 5695 to take any residential energy efficient property credit carryforward from 2016 or to carry the unused portion of the credit to 2018.

Who Can Take The Credits

Read more