Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please enter your input in search

Application For Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return – IRS Form 4868

Everyone starts getting a little freaked out this time of year because of personal income tax reporting and paying obligations due on April 15th. I have found through the years that this kind of pressure causes people in all walks of life to make poor judgments and less than fully informed decisions just to hit a deadline.

The point of this post is to inform you that it is okay to file an application for a six month automatic extension of time to file your United States individual income tax return and NOT TO WORRY IF YOU ARE BEHIND THE CURVE THIS YEAR. There are many reasons why you may need an extension of time to file your taxes that are all fully legitimate including:

1. life changing events,

2. partnerships or other pass through entities and trusts that are not prepared to report and even,

3. lack of personal organization.

It is all okay. To file an extension request all you need to do is fill out and submit IRS Form 4868 and provide:

1. Your name and spouse’s name (if you’re filing jointly) and address;

2.Your Social Security number and spouse’s Social Security number (if you’re filing jointly);

3. An estimate of total tax liability for 2013;

4. Total of what you have already paid in 2013 (including withholding and estimated payments); and

5. The amount you’re paying with the extension, if anything.

Remember that an extension of the time to file is simply that. It is not an extension of time to pay as INCOME TAX PAYMENTS ARE DUE IN FULL ON APRIL 15TH.

What this means is if you think you might owe taxes and you’re filing for extension, you should make a payment with your extension request simply to avoid interest and penalty assessments later. The interest rate is currently 3% per year, compounded daily, and the late-payment penalty is normally 0.5% per month. In other words you should estimate what the taxes due are and if you over estimate rest assured you will be entitled to a tax refund.

This is super easy to do if you just take a minute to gather your thoughts and honestly estimate your liability. Once you’ve done this you can either mail in IRS Form 4868 with an estimated payment taking care to post mark the envelope by April 15th; use the IRS’ free file service or contact me and I’ll have one of my trusted lieutenants walk you through it or take care of this for you as you see fit.

In accordance with Circular 230 Disclosure

John Dundon

Enrolled with the United States Treasury Department to practice before the IRS, governed by rules stipulated in United States Treasury Circular 230. As a Federally Authorized Tax Practitioner and a tax appeals specialist my Enrolled Agent License #85353 is issued by the United States Treasury. With this license I work for U.S. taxpayers everywhere to resolve tax matters and de-escalate stress about taxes or tax disputes for individuals and corporations with federal and state issues.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn 

Subscribe to TaxConnections Blog

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.