Ask Tax Question
My Company Transferred Me To The Amsterdam Office From The United States Office Earlier This Month. This Assignment Will Be Through The...
User Photo Hendrik Duijn
Tax Professional Level: Tax Enthusiast

Because of the specific US/NL tax treaty residency clause (as an American) you would still qualify as a US tax resident instead of a Dutch resident. Non Americans who live in The Netherlands would be regarded to be...   Read More
Can Treaty SA/Canada Allow Canadian Company To Be Exclusively Taxed In SA? My Client Is Ex Canada, Re-enters His Birth Country South Africa,...
User Photo Blair Dwyer
Tax Professional Level: Tax Enthusiast

In any tax treaty, the rules depend on the residence of the entity in question for purposes of the treaty. Most treaties treat a dual-resident corporation as resident in the jurisdiction of incorporation. As a...   Read More
I Will Be On Holiday Here For Several Months. Am I Considered A Taxpayer? Am I Responsible For Any Taxes? And, If So, How Do I Go About...
User Photo Hugo Van Zyl
Tax Professional Level: Tax Enthusiast

First point to make is that unlike most treaty countries, the first year's physical presence in SA, will in itself not result in you becoming a taxpayer or a tax resident. (See comment on SA interest earned by non-...   Read More
What Is A SEP Plan And How Much Can I Contribute?
User Photo Chuck Heyde, CPA, CGMA
Tax Professional Level: Tax Wizard

I love the SEP. I have one... SEP = Simplified Employee Pension plan You can contribute up to $50K in 2012. Chuck Heyde, CPA   Read More
0 0 SEP Plan
How Does The Return Of Principal Payments Affect My Cost Basis In My Mutual Funds?
User Photo Steven Potts JD EA IAR
Tax Professional Level: Tax Enthusiast

The return of principal complicates your calculation of your basis when it comes time to determine your cost basis when you sell the mutual fund. Generally, your basis in a mutual fund is the original purchase...   Read More
0 0 Mutual
Do I Need To Pay Additional Tax On Stock That I Received As A Result Of A Stock Split?
User Photo William Keats
Tax Professional Level: Master Tax Advisor

If you received the extra stock as a result of a stock split, and still possess the shares, you do not report it. It is reportable when you sell those shares.   Read More
Stock I Invested In Is Now Worthless. Is This A Bad Debt And Can I Report It As Such On My Tax Return?
User Photo Vincenzo Villamena
Tax Professional Level: Tax Enthusiast

If its public stock then yes. If it is a c corp then it may qualify for small business stock and a loss may be deducted. In order to qualify there are a few steps - (1) the corporation is a "qualified small...   Read More
Is The Loss Of The Sale Of My Home In 2012 Deductible?
User Photo Chuck Heyde, CPA, CGMA
Tax Professional Level: Tax Wizard

A loss on the sale of your home is NOT deductible. Chuck Heyde, CPA   Read More
How Do I Figure The Cost Basis Of Shares Of Stock That Were Purchased At Different Times?
User Photo William Keats
Tax Professional Level: Master Tax Advisor

There are various methods in determining cost basis when selling stock. The most used is FIFO. This is the method used if the shares sold cannot be identified. The next method is Average basis. Used only if...   Read More
I Am A Student Who Is Also Working. If I Make Under $10,000 Per Year Do I Need To File A US Tax Return?
User Photo Steven Potts JD EA IAR
Tax Professional Level: Tax Enthusiast

Assuming that you are single and under the age of 65, if you have earned in excess of $9,750 you must file a tax return. Be sure to coordinate with your parents, if you are still potentially on their tax return, to...   Read More

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil

Lakeland, Florida, USA

Tax Advisor/CEO

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

New York, New York, USA

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Denver, Colorado, USA

Tax Director

User Photo Steven Potts JD EA IAR

Fullerton, California, USA


User Photo Caran Ebert, CPA

Topanga, California, USA

Tax Advisor

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

Rancho Santa Fe, California, USA

CEO/Certified Financial Advisor

User Photo Randy Tarpey

Tyrone , Pennsylvania, USA


User Photo Lisa Nason CPA, MST

Greenville, South Carolina, USA

Managing Shareholder

User Photo David Hughey, EA, MAcc

Longview, Washington, USA

Tax Consultant/Tax Advisor


Santa Clara, California, USA

Tax Principal - President

User Photo Bill Robinson, CPA

Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA


User Photo Hugo Van Zyl

Stellenbosch, South Africa

Exchange Control & Master Tax Practitioner (SA)

User Photo Douglas Stransky

Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Tax Partner, International Tax

User Photo Chad Hatalla

Rheinfelden, Switzerland

Senior Tax Manager

User Photo Larry Stolberg, CPA, CA

Toronto Mississauga Oakville Burlington Hamilton, Canada

Tax Specialist

View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page

Log into Tax Connections

Not a member?    Register Now For a Free Account
I've forgotten my password
Contact Us Today