Ask Tax Question
Can A Real Estate Investment Trust ("REIT") Benefit From A Cost Segregation Study?
User Photo John Dundon, II EA
Tax Professional Level: Tax Wizard

Another grEAt question! It really depends on the size of the REIT and the extent to which you are willing/able to invest in following the rules as this stuff can come back and bite. Check out this blog post for...   Read More
I Am A US Citizen And Just Received An Inheritance From My Aunt Who Is An Australian Citizen & Lives In Australia Valued At USD 250,000....
User Photo Manasa Nadig
Tax Professional Level: Tax Enthusiast

When you as a US Citizen, receive more than USD 100,000 gift/ bequest/ inheritance from a non-US citizen individual or estate, you are required to report that on Form 3520 to be filed along with your tax return...   Read More
Hi Tax Questions: I Have Not Filed A Form 540 Since 2010. For 2011 I Had A Loss From A Schedule C Business, And Therefore Have Not...
User Photo John Stancil
Tax Professional Level: Master Tax Advisor

Probably not. The California FTB statute of limitations for refunds is four years after the original due date of the return. The 2011 return was due April, 2012. So the statute of limitations ran out on 2011...   Read More
How Can I Receive Earned Income Tax Credit With A Business Partnership Showing Net Operating Loss? I Only Brought In $22k, Only Income Was...
User Photo John Stancil
Tax Professional Level: Master Tax Advisor

Unfortunately, you must have a positive earned income in order to get the earned income tax credit. There are no exceptions to this, so you are just caught in a bad situation in regard to the EITC.   Read More
Do I Need To File A Form 1041- My Aunt Passed In 2001 In Washington DC, She Was Married And My Mom Was Her Only Living Sibling. My Mom...
User Photo John Stancil
Tax Professional Level: Master Tax Advisor

Federal law states that any estate with gross income of more than $600 must file a return. However, since you mom passed in 2010, she (or her estate) cannot inherit any property. When she died, any right to receive...   Read More
0 0 Form 1041
Please Provide A Synopsis Of Newly Issued Rev. Proc. 2016-29 Affecting Accounting Method Change Filers.
User Photo Peter J. Scalise
Tax Professional Level: Master Tax Advisor

On May 5th, the Internal Revenue Service (hereinafter the “Service”) issued Rev. Proc. 2016-29, which outlines automatic accounting method changes and provides administrative procedures for electing them....   Read More
I Am A US Citizen And I Live Out Of The Country. Do I Need To File Tax Returns In The US And Is My Income Taxable?
User Photo Manasa Nadig
Tax Professional Level: Tax Enthusiast

The US taxation rules are based on Citizen Based Taxation or CBT. So the answer to this question is "Yes, a US Citizen has to file US Tax Returns even if living out of the country". One can take the Foreign Earned...   Read More
As A Touring Musician, Am I Responsible For Filing Tax Returns In Every State In Which I Perform?
User Photo Benjamin (David) Goldberg, EA
Tax Professional Level: Tax Enthusiast

The answer is that it depends upon the state in which you perform, and how that state treats the taxation of non-residents who have earnings from a source within that state.   Read More
0 0 Musician
What Would The Tax If I Get Dividends From Investment Account In The USA?
User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA
Tax Professional Level: Tax Enthusiast

Depends on whether your country maintains a tax treaty with the US. Some treaties have a preferred rate of 10%. Without a treasury a qualified dividend is subject to a 20% rate and an ordinary dividend is subject...   Read More
Do I Need An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)?
User Photo John Dundon, II EA
Tax Professional Level: Tax Wizard

As in life itself - it depends. For US taxpayers that do NOT qualify for a Social Security number an ITIN is mandatory as part of your filing requirements. You must first apply for a SSN and if you get rejected...   Read More

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

New York, New York, USA

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

User Photo John Stancil

Lakeland, Florida, USA

Tax Advisor/CEO

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Denver, Colorado, USA

Tax Director

User Photo Steven Potts JD EA IAR

Fullerton, California, USA


User Photo Devon McCarthy FCCA, EA

Sanford, Florida, USA


User Photo Caran Ebert, CPA

Topanga, California, USA

Tax Advisor

User Photo Randy Tarpey

Tyrone , Pennsylvania, USA


User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

Rancho Santa Fe, California, USA

CEO/Certified Financial Advisor

User Photo Lisa Nason CPA, MST

Greenville, South Carolina, USA

Managing Shareholder


Santa Clara, California, USA

Tax Principal - President

User Photo Bill Robinson, CPA

Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA


User Photo Hugo Van Zyl

Stellenbosch, South Africa

Exchange Control & Master Tax Practitioner (SA)

User Photo Douglas Stransky

Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Tax Partner, International Tax

User Photo Larry Stolberg, CPA, CA

Toronto Mississauga Oakville Burlington Hamilton, Canada

Tax Specialist

User Photo Dr. Daniel Erasmus

West Palm Beach, Florida, USA

Managing Partner/EMEA

User Photo Kat Jennings CEO

La Jolla, California, USA

Founder/TaxConnections CEO

User Photo Jorge Otoya

Cleveland, Ohio, USA


User Photo Cecilia Scutaru Andor

Charleroi , USA

Tax Preparer / Notary / Signing Agent

User Photo Mary Beth Lougen EA USTCP

Virginia, USA

President and Founder

User Photo Darren Sanford

Memphis, Tennessee, USA


User Photo Dan Gordon

BANGKOK, Thailand


User Photo Barry Fowler

Houston, Texas, USA


User Photo Kelly Estep

Vancouver, Washington, USA


User Photo James Sutton, CPA, Esq

Tampa, Florida, USA

Florida Sales Tax Attorney

User Photo Bernice Brightbill

Los Angeles, California, USA



Battle Ground, Washington, USA


User Photo David Gadberry

Houston, Texas, USA

Tax manager

User Photo Howard Liebman

Brussels, Belgium


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page

Log into Tax Connections

Not a member?    Register Now For a Free Account
I've forgotten my password
Contact Us Today