Email Contact Us

Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please Type Topic Into Search Bar

When I retired,I received a full payout of my Federal Thrift Savings Plan which I then used to repay a previous withdrawal of my Federal Retirement (CSRS). Is this income taxable or does it qualify as a rollover to another retirement account?

When I was approved for "Early Out" from the Fed Govt, I asked to be allowed to transfer my Thrift Savings Plan into my Federal Retirement Plan (CSRS) to pay back the withdrawal I had made years earlier when I (temporarily) left Federal Service. Even though I asked repeatedly how to accomplish the transfer, I never got an answer until months later when my retirement had been finalized and I was told to pay $52K so that I could receive my full retirement benefits.
The TSP check went into my bank account and within a few days was withdrawn and used to purchase a Certified Check for payment to the OPM.
Income Tax Individual Taxable Income
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Bernice Brightbill
If the CSRS is a tax deferred retirement acct similar to an IRA then it is not going to be taxed if the $52K was put back in before the time limit ..60 days? maybe 30, not sure; need to check.
Leave a Comment 385 weeks ago


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page

Contact Us Today