Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please Type Topic Into Search Bar

We are non-resident alien parents. What taxes, if any, we or our children will have to pay, in case we gift them an amount, say $50,000/-?

Our children are American Citizens. We wish to gift each of them (2) an amount of US$100,000/-. What taxes do they have to pay to US Govt.?
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
John Stancil
Gifts are not taxable income, so there would be no tax liability involved. However, if the gift was not cash and the children sold the property received, they would owe income tax on the excess of the proceeds of the sale over your cost basis in the property. Also, if the gift was $100,000 or more a Form 3520 must be filed with the IRS. This is an information return only, there is no tax involved.
Leave a Comment 284 weeks ago

User Photo
Question Owner
Thank you so much for your reply.
Reply 284 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil



User Photo Peter J. Scalise

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

New York, NY

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Tax Director

Denver, CO

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

CEO/Certified Financial Advisor

Rancho Santa Fe, CA

User Photo Monika Miles


San Jose, CA

User Photo Blake Christian

Tax Partner

Long Beach/ Park City, CA

User Photo John Richardson


Toronto, Canada


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today