Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please Type Topic Into Search Bar

Was out of work on worker’s compensation last year (i.e. no reportable income) and I get standard deduction refund. However, I also had several thousand in education expenses and my refund doesn’t seem to increase. Why not?

Education Expense Workers Compensation
User Photo
Charles Woodson, EA
What is a "standard deduction refund" - standard deduction only helps your taxable income go down - it doesn't provide a refund by itself. If you have zero taxable income then you could be eligible for a college tuition credit that is partly refundable. The credit is based on tuition paid so your taxable income has no impact on the refundable portion.
Reply 109 weeks ago
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Michael Cash
If your income last year was from workers compensation you don't file a return at all so the rest of the question is irrelevant.
Leave a Comment 109 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil



User Photo Peter J. Scalise

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

New York, NY

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Tax Director

Denver, CO

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

CEO/Certified Financial Advisor

Rancho Santa Fe, CA

User Photo Monika Miles


San Jose, CA

User Photo Blake Christian

Tax Partner

Long Beach/ Park City, CA

User Photo John Richardson


Toronto, Canada


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today