Ask Tax Question

To what state should I report my uncashed payroll checks

Abandoned and unclaimed property
User Photo
Chris Snedeker
You should report to your domicile state.
Reply 305 weeks ago
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Noel Hall, Jr.
Pursuant to three U.S. Supreme Court cases, the Court articulated two bright-line rules for the proper reporting of abandoned and unclaimed property, which has pretty much stayed intact for decades.

In this example uncashed payroll checks are reported as follows:

1. the property would first be reported to the state of the owner's last known address as shown on the books and records of the holder (the company that issued the check).

2. If the name and complete mailing address sufficient for the delivery or mail is unknown, then the property must be reported to the state of legal domicile (state of formation or incorporation) of the holder.

After numerous rounds of litigation over the proper jurisdiction to report and remit abandoned and unclaimed propety, the Court attempted to make reporting requirements unambigous for companies faced with what is often viewed as a massive adminstrative burden. Feel free to contact me directly with any further questions.
Leave a Comment 300 weeks ago

User Photo
Chris Snedeker
Where you live
Leave a Comment 305 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil

Lakeland, Florida, USA

Tax Advisor/CEO

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

New York, New York, USA

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Denver, Colorado, USA

Tax Director


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today