Email   Contact Us

Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please Type Topic Into Search Bar

Report ISO disposition in year exercised/cashed out or year included on W2 (different years)? Exercised/cashed out ISOs in 2011 as a disqualifying disposition, received letter from company with all transaction details. I included the ISO compensation on 2011 return. Then, received 2012 W2 showing the ISO amount in Wages and recorded in "Other Income". Should I revise 2011 return, or submit 2012 return with discrepancy between W2 and 1040 income? More directly - what year is the correct year to report?

1. Should I leave the ISOs as already reported on the 2011 return? If I do, I will have a discrepancy between my 2012 W2 and 1040 income that I report.

2. Should I revise my 2011 return, remove the ISO amount, and then report it on the 2012 return? If I do, then I will have an ISO being reported that was exercised in a previous year, requiring that amount to be included in AMT.
Stock Options
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Chuck Heyde, CPA, CGMA
If you exercised in 2011, it should be reported in 2011. I would confer with your employer to see if they can provide you a W-2C.
Leave a Comment 454 weeks ago


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page

Contact Us Today