Ask Tax Question

Question clarification- referring to income of LLC itself. Does LLC have to report income? US LLC with sole member who is Non-US-person residing outside of US working remotely as an independent contractor for a US entity, is the income considered "not considered effectively connected" to US?

LLC functions as a "pass through" for non-US person. Does fact that LLC has to have a US address impact whether LLC itself pays taxes?
Limited Liability Corporation (LLC)
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Manasa Nadig
An LLC is a "disregarded entity", hence the sole member has to pay taxes on income derived from LLC on their personal income. If the LLC has a US address, then it may be construed to having a Permanent Establishment in the US and the sole member may be subject to US taxes. When structuring LLCs with foreign sole members one has to be extremely cautious due to various reasons like mismatch in classification in different countries/ loss of treaty benefits etc.
Leave a Comment 42 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil

Lakeland, Florida, USA

Tax Advisor/CEO

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

New York, New York, USA

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Denver, Colorado, USA

Tax Director

User Photo Steven Potts JD EA IAR

Fullerton, California, USA


User Photo Caran Ebert, CPA

Topanga, California, USA

Tax Advisor

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

Rancho Santa Fe, California, USA

CEO/Certified Financial Advisor

User Photo Randy Tarpey

Tyrone , Pennsylvania, USA


User Photo Lisa Nason CPA, MST

Greenville, South Carolina, USA

Managing Shareholder

User Photo David Hughey, EA, MAcc

Longview, Washington, USA

Tax Consultant/Tax Advisor


Santa Clara, California, USA

Tax Principal - President

User Photo Bill Robinson, CPA

Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA


User Photo Hugo Van Zyl

Stellenbosch, South Africa

Exchange Control & Master Tax Practitioner (SA)

User Photo Douglas Stransky

Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Tax Partner, International Tax

User Photo Chad Hatalla

Rheinfelden, Switzerland

Senior Tax Manager

User Photo Larry Stolberg, CPA, CA

Toronto Mississauga Oakville Burlington Hamilton, Canada

Tax Specialist

View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page

Contact Us Today