My wife died and I fell behind on everything, including filing and paying my US income taxes. I understand that I owe but these penalties are ridiculous as I relied on her for everything and had no idea. Is there anything I can do to get these penalties reduced?

This was a life changing event and I would hoe the IRS would understand.
IRS Penalty
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
John Dundon, II EA
That is horrible news. The bottom line is YES under the right circumstances you can get penalty abatement relief. Check out this post about IRS penalties -> <- this is the first of a 6 part series I will be coming out with on your question.
Leave a Comment 57 weeks ago

User Photo
Michael Cash
You may be entitled to "First Time Abate" which is a once in a lifetime Get Out of Jail Free card. Call IRS at the phone number one the bill and ask. You can also make a reasonable cause argument (and save First Time Abate for another time.) You would have to provide an explanation that establishes that the you exercised ordinary business care and prudence but was, nevertheless, unable to comply within the prescribed time. Your wife dying would count unless the length of time between the due date and filing date was really excessive.
Leave a Comment 5 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

New York, NY

User Photo John L Stancil

Tax Advisor/CEO

Lakeland, FL

User Photo John R Dundon, II EA

Tax Director

Denver, CO

User Photo Kevin Johnson MS, JD, LL.M, CPA


Philadelphia, PA

User Photo Brian Weaver, CPA, MBA

Managing Tax Consultant

Des Plaines, IL

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

Rancho Santa Fe, CA


User Photo Clinton J Donnelly, LLM

International Tax Advisor

Panama City, Panama

User Photo Jim Marshall, EA

President/ Tax And Financial Advisor

Scottsdale, AZ

User Photo Brett A Thompson, JD, CPA

Managing Tax Lawyer

Katy, TX

User Photo Charles Woodson, EA

Tax Advisor/Fiduciary Coach

San Diego, CA

User Photo John Richardson

Tax Lawyer

Toronto, Canada

User Photo Clifford Benjamin

Senior Tax Principal

Daytona Beach, FL

User Photo Kazim Qasim, EA, CTC

Managing Tax Advisor/CEO

Orlando, FL


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today