My mother wants to start collecting Social Security at 62 and still continue her small business. How do Schedule C earnings affect her ability to receive Social Security?

social security benefits
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
David Gadberry
Per the Social Security website:

If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, we deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2012, that limit is $14,640.

In the year you reach full retirement age, we deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit, but we only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age.

Refer to these 2 websites for more information:
Leave a Comment 346 weeks ago

User Photo
Judd Conway
As a general rule, the longer one defers receipt of social security the higher the monthly payments. Unless your mother needs the money from SS, she is better off deferring receipt of it until as late as possible - age 70 is ideal. The amount she received at age 62 is significantly less than what she would receive at full retirement age. As I recall it there is about a 25% fall off at age 62. (Example: If the amount she would receive at age 66 is $1,200, her monthly payment at age 62 is $900. It goes up about .667% a month for each month she delays filing.)
Reply 340 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

New York, NY

User Photo John L Stancil

Tax Advisor/CEO

Lakeland, FL

User Photo John R Dundon, II EA

Tax Director

Denver, CO

User Photo Kevin Johnson MS, JD, LL.M, CPA


Philadelphia, PA

User Photo Brian Weaver, CPA, MBA

Managing Tax Consultant

Des Plaines, IL

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

Rancho Santa Fe, CA


User Photo Jim Marshall, EA

President/ Tax And Financial Advisor

Scottsdale, AZ

User Photo Brett A Thompson, JD, CPA

Managing Tax Lawyer

Katy, TX

User Photo Charles Woodson, EA

Tax Advisor/Fiduciary Coach

San Diego, CA

User Photo John Richardson

Tax Lawyer

Toronto, Canada

User Photo Clifford Benjamin

Senior Tax Principal

Daytona Beach, FL

User Photo Kazim Qasim, EA, CTC

Managing Tax Advisor/CEO

Orlando, FL


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today