Ask Tax Question

My ex husband put money for our children’s education in a 529 plan. The children are in college now and he refuses to use the money. Is there a way he can be required to pay for their tuition with this money? What happens to it if it is not used on their education?

529 Plan
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Patrick O'Hara , EA
I believe the only way you could compel your ex husband to release the 529 funds is through a court order. As far as if the 529 money is not used for the designated beneficiary, it can be re designated to another beneficiary or the money may be withdrawn and not used for education purposes. In the latter case, the earnings on the 529 would be taxed as ordinary income at the marginal rate and a 10% penalty assessed on the taxable portion of the distribution.
Leave a Comment 268 weeks ago

User Photo
Edward Bender
I agree with Mr. O'Hara here, but have further questions. When was the plan established? What does the establishment document state regarding who has the authorization for the disbursements? If the intent was to use these funds (and since they are in a 529 plan I can assume so) to pay for college, then the court, if the document doesn't give you permission on your own, can compel use of these funds for the purpose for which they were intended. In some of these plans I have seen, the beneficiary (the child attending college) has authority to use the funds for the intended purpose. See what the documents establishing the plan state.
Leave a Comment 266 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil

Lakeland, Florida, USA

Tax Advisor/CEO

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

New York, New York, USA

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Denver, Colorado, USA

Tax Director

User Photo Steven Potts JD EA IAR

Fullerton, California, USA


User Photo Caran Ebert, CPA

Topanga, California, USA

Tax Advisor

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

Rancho Santa Fe, California, USA

CEO/Certified Financial Advisor

User Photo Randy Tarpey

Tyrone , Pennsylvania, USA


User Photo Lisa Nason CPA, MST

Greenville, South Carolina, USA

Managing Shareholder

User Photo David Hughey, EA, MAcc

Longview, Washington, USA

Tax Consultant/Tax Advisor


Santa Clara, California, USA

Tax Principal - President

User Photo Hugo Van Zyl

Stellenbosch, South Africa

Exchange Control & Master Tax Practitioner (SA)

User Photo Douglas Stransky

Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Tax Partner, International Tax

User Photo Chad Hatalla

Rheinfelden, Switzerland

Senior Tax Manager

User Photo Larry Stolberg, CPA, CA

Toronto Mississauga Oakville Burlington Hamilton, Canada

Tax Specialist

User Photo Dr. Daniel Erasmus

West Palm Beach, Florida, USA

Managing Partner/EMEA

View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page

Contact Us Today