Is there tax due on an inherited 401k, either state or fed income tax? Can I roll this over to an IRA without having to pay taxes on it? Do I have to include this amount at probate. I live in Penna. Does an inherited annuity get handled the same way?

TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
John Stancil
You will have to pay Federal income tax on withdrawals from the 401(k). State laws vary, in some states, it would not be taxable. Pennsylvania does subject withdrawals to taxation.

If you are inheriting the 401(k) as a spouse, you may roll it into an IRA. If you are not a spouse you must take withdrawals, either a lump sum, or payments over a period of time. You will be subject to income tax on those withdrawals.

There are a host of types of annuities. If it was a tax deferred annuity, meaning that the decedent did not pay tax on the earnings, portion of the annuity withdrawals would be taxable. If it was a qualified retirement plan, all of the withdrawals would be taxable.
Leave a Comment 238 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

New York, NY

User Photo John L Stancil

Tax Advisor/CEO

Lakeland, FL

User Photo John R Dundon, II EA

Tax Director

Denver, CO

User Photo Kevin Johnson MS, JD, LL.M, CPA


Philadelphia, PA

User Photo Brian Weaver, CPA, MBA

Managing Tax Consultant

Des Plaines, IL

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

Rancho Santa Fe, CA


User Photo Jim Marshall, EA

President/ Tax And Financial Advisor

Scottsdale, AZ

User Photo Brett A Thompson, JD, CPA

Managing Tax Lawyer

Katy, TX

User Photo Charles Woodson, EA

Tax Advisor/Fiduciary Coach

San Diego, CA

User Photo John Richardson

Tax Lawyer

Toronto, Canada

User Photo Clifford Benjamin

Senior Tax Principal

Daytona Beach, FL

User Photo Kazim Qasim, EA, CTC

Managing Tax Advisor/CEO

Orlando, FL


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today