Ask Tax Question

Individuals living overseas are not able to contribute to some U.S. retirement vehicles such as a ROTH IRA. What alternatives can expatriate U.S. citizens use to save for their retirement back in the United States?

Expatriate Retirement Plans
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Chuck Heyde, CPA, CGMA
I always recommend my taxpayers to contribute as much as they can to their 401(k).

Other than that - there are NO tax preferential vehicles available to you.

Best regards,
Chuck Heyde, CPA, CGMA
Leave a Comment 262 weeks ago

User Photo
Virginia La Torre Jeker, J.D.
I would like to comment by adding to Chuck Heyde's answer. Chuck's answer ended with these words: "Other than that - there are NO tax preferential vehicles available to you."

US persons living overseas often make the BIG mistake in investing in offshore products (such as foreign mutual funds and the like) that are completely unsuitable from a US tax perspective. Such clients often tell me they are looking to these investments as a type of retirement savings. They are devastated to learn of the tax consequences. You can read more about this on my tax blog posting here.

Virginia La Torre Jeker, J.D.
Leave a Comment 247 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil

Lakeland, Florida, USA

Tax Advisor/CEO

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

New York, New York, USA

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Denver, Colorado, USA

Tax Director


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today