Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please Type Topic Into Search Bar

I’m Unsure About The State Unemployment Tax Filing Issues For Reporting Out-Of-State Residents. Do I Need To Register In Both States?

Our business is located in Indiana and about 10 miles away from the Indiana/Kentucky border. We have been steadily growing and have recently received applications from a few Kentucky residents wanting to work for us. I’m unsure about the state unemployment tax filing issues for reporting out-of-state residents. Do I need to register in both states?
Unemployment Unemployment Taxes
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Kenneth Handy
The 1st criteria for determining where to report an employee for unemployment tax purposes is based on where the employee is working. Since your business is solely located in Indiana, you would report all employees (both IN and KY residents) on Indiana unemployment tax return filings.
Leave a Comment 110 weeks ago

User Photo
Michael Cash
You will owe unemployment tax to the state where the employee works so if you have Kentucky residents working in Indiana you will pay unemployment tax on their wages to Indiana.
Leave a Comment 110 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil



User Photo Peter J. Scalise

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

New York, NY

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Tax Director

Denver, CO

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

CEO/Certified Financial Advisor

Rancho Santa Fe, CA

User Photo Monika Miles


San Jose, CA

User Photo Blake Christian

Tax Partner

Long Beach/ Park City, CA

User Photo John Richardson


Toronto, Canada


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today