Ask Tax Question

If I worked for a foreign company in a foreign country, do I still need to pay tax in US since I need to pay tax in the foreign country?

TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Kathryn Morgan
If you are a US Citizen or Resident then you must report your worldwide income and pay taxes on any that is not subject to an exclusion. If you meet certain tests you may exclude up to $95,100 in earned income from working outside the US. Even if you don't meet the exclusion, or if you have income over the exclusion amount, you may qualify for a credit against the taxes you paid in a foreign country. There are a lot of different ways to figure those situations and I recommend you hire a professional to assist you get the best outcome.
Leave a Comment 222 weeks ago

User Photo
Question Owner
Thank you for the information
Reply 213 weeks ago
User Photo
Virginia La Torre Jeker, J.D.
Hi - I'm a US tax attorney in Dubai. I have written a lot about this topic here" style="font-size:10pt;">

and also check my US tax blog - am sure there are many posts that will be of interest to you." style="font-size:10pt;">
Leave a Comment 218 weeks ago

User Photo
Chuck Heyde, CPA, CGMA
I love this question.  I get a lot of work this way.  Most people incorrectly think that if they have the Foreign Exclusion and/or Foreign Tax Credits that they have not obligation to file a US tax return.  

They may have little to no tax due.  But that is not the issue.  The fact is a US taxpayer must file a US tax return if their income exceeds their personal exemptions and standard deduction (basically $10,000).

Then if your return is prepared correctly, with the use of the Foreign Exclusion, Foreign Tax Credits, and the Income Tax Treaty, your US tax liability should be very LOW.

Here is a big catch - if you fail to file and the IRS catches you - they can deny the Foreign Exclusion.  So I suggest you contact an US Expat Tax Professional as soon as possible.  (My info is below.)

Chuck Heyde, CPA, CGMA
US Expat Tax Pro
Leave a Comment 217 weeks ago

User Photo
David McKeegan

With regards to your message, yes, you will have to file a US return every year (regardless of whether you are working in the US or not). However, just because you have to file a US return, does not mean you will have to pay anything to the US. Fortunately, there are a number of exclusions and credits in place (for expats) which limit dual taxation.

One of the largest exclusions is the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. With the FEIE, the first 97K (for the 2013 filing) of income is exempt from tax in the US. If you make under this level, you generally do not owe anything to the US.

Also, the US has several tax treaties in place with other countries. If you are living in a tax treaty country, then your chances of dual taxation are slim as well.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to reach me if you have any further questions.
Leave a Comment 215 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil

Lakeland, Florida, USA

Tax Advisor/CEO

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

New York, New York, USA

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Denver, Colorado, USA

Tax Director

User Photo Steven Potts JD EA IAR

Fullerton, California, USA


User Photo Caran Ebert, CPA

Topanga, California, USA

Tax Advisor

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

Rancho Santa Fe, California, USA

CEO/Certified Financial Advisor

User Photo Randy Tarpey

Tyrone , Pennsylvania, USA


User Photo Lisa Nason CPA, MST

Greenville, South Carolina, USA

Managing Shareholder

User Photo David Hughey, EA, MAcc

Longview, Washington, USA

Tax Consultant/Tax Advisor


Santa Clara, California, USA

Tax Principal - President

User Photo Hugo Van Zyl

Stellenbosch, South Africa

Exchange Control & Master Tax Practitioner (SA)

User Photo Douglas Stransky

Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Tax Partner, International Tax

User Photo Chad Hatalla

Rheinfelden, Switzerland

Senior Tax Manager

User Photo Larry Stolberg, CPA, CA

Toronto Mississauga Oakville Burlington Hamilton, Canada

Tax Specialist

User Photo Dr. Daniel Erasmus

West Palm Beach, Florida, USA

Managing Partner/EMEA

View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page

Contact Us Today