I receive a pension from the Netherlands and the Pension Fund is withholding Dutch taxes, while I am also paying UK taxes on my pension. How can I get a refund?

Netherlands Tax Dutch Tax Pension Fund
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Hendrik Duijn
Based on the country in which you are a tax resident you can request a Dutch withholding tax refund. The treaty between the UK and the Netherlands changed recently and I received numerous request to file a withholding tax refunds for pensions which can be, based on the facts and circumstances, be solely taxed in the UK instead of the Netherlands. In order to be successful with filing the refund, the tax treaty needs to be analyzed taking your specific facts and circumstances into account. If you are indeed eligible for a refund, the paying agent would need to provide information in addition to having the HMRC issue you a residency certificate. This residency certificate states that you are a UK tax resident. In general it might also be possible that although Dutch tax is indeed due, Dutch social security premiums are not. This could allow for a sizable refund. Hope this helps.
Leave a Comment 277 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

New York, NY

User Photo John L Stancil

Tax Advisor/CEO

Lakeland, FL

User Photo John R Dundon, II EA

Tax Director

Denver, CO

User Photo Kevin Johnson MS, JD, LL.M, CPA


Philadelphia, PA

User Photo Brian Weaver, CPA, MBA

Managing Tax Consultant

Des Plaines, IL

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

Rancho Santa Fe, CA


User Photo Jim Marshall, EA

President/ Tax And Financial Advisor

Scottsdale, AZ

User Photo Brett A Thompson, JD, CPA

Managing Tax Lawyer

Katy, TX

User Photo Charles Woodson, EA

Tax Advisor/Fiduciary Coach

San Diego, CA

User Photo John Richardson

Tax Lawyer

Toronto, Canada

User Photo Clifford Benjamin

Senior Tax Principal

Daytona Beach, FL

User Photo Kazim Qasim, EA, CTC

Managing Tax Advisor/CEO

Orlando, FL


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today