Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please Type Topic Into Search Bar

I live in Burlington, Ontario Canada. I am a US citizen and have not filed US returns in years. What is the procedure here as I heard something about voluntary disclosure and various penalties.

Tax Compliance
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Larry Stolberg, CPA, CA
You may fit into the Streamlined Procedure which requires only 3 years of returns and 6 years of FBARs. There is information on the IRS site with a checklist to determine if you are a low risk applicant. Otherwise the voluntary disclosure procedure requires additional returns and a voluntary disclosure penalty as opposed to penalties on tax payable and non-filing of certain information returns/forms.
Leave a Comment 384 weeks ago

User Photo
Chuck Heyde, CPA, CGMA
I work with an international attorney that specializes in qualifying for the OVDP. And since the penalties for not filing include $10,000 per account per year not reported and/or JAIL time. I recommend to obtain a competent international attorney to assist you. If you would like me to put you two in contact, send me an e-mail -

Read more here -

Chuck Heyde, CPA, CGMA
Leave a Comment 380 weeks ago

User Photo
Ali Khan
They may qualify for streamlined, which is much simpler and easier.
Reply 353 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil



User Photo Peter J. Scalise

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

New York, NY

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Tax Director

Denver, CO

User Photo John Richardson


Toronto, Canada

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

CEO/Certified Financial Advisor

Rancho Santa Fe, CA

User Photo Monika Miles


San Jose, CA

User Photo Blake Christian

Tax Partner

Long Beach/ Park City, CA


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today