Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please Type Topic Into Search Bar

I have a special needs child and was wondering if there are any special tax breaks? The costs of raising a special needs child are great and any tax deductions in this area will so helpful to my family.

Special Needs Child
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Christopher Royer
It is difficult to answer your question to the fullest without knowing the specific type of expenses you incur with respect to your child's special needs. However, I would assume that most of the expenses you probably incur would be deductible under the medical expense deduction. This deduction includes but is not limited to expenses such as equipment and modifications installed in your home (examples include: constructing specific walkways or exit ramps, moving or modifying electrical equipment), braille books and magazines, diagnostic devices, certain travel expenses, and disabled dependent care expenses. These expenses are deductible as long as they are reasonable with the specific needs of your child.

These expenses are limited to 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. In other words the total amount of your expenses over 7.5% of your adjusted gross income will be deductible. I would recommend speaking with a CPA about your specific situation. Documentation and record keeping may be essential if you are selected for audit.
Leave a Comment 461 weeks ago


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today