Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please Type Topic Into Search Bar

I have a few shares of stock in a particular company that I have held for less than a year. I would like to sell the shares and I understand that I will incur capital gains tax at the higher, short term rate. Will I be taxed only on my net profit or on the entire amount of the sale?

Capital Gains Stock Purchase
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Kathryn Morgan
You will be taxed only on the net gain from the sale. You might even be able to get out of that if you have other losses or carryover losses from a previous year. Or if the stocks were inherited they are considered long term no matter how long you have had them.
Leave a Comment 414 weeks ago


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today