Ask Tax Question

I have a client who Prepared W-2s for his restaurant, TY 2013, that were not submitted to SSA. The W-2s did not include the tips reported by the employees. Employees received these W-2s. Do I submit the W-2s as they are first, then submit W-2C for those to which I add tip income?

Penalty W-2 Form Social Security
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
John Stancil
Yes. Since the employees received the incorrect W-2 forms and filed taxes based on those, you should submit the originals. Then prepare and send in the corrected ones, giving a copy to each employee.
Leave a Comment 72 weeks ago

User Photo
Question Owner
Thank you John. My challenge now is to find 3 year old tip information. The computer system and software used at the time is no longer functioning. The point of sale system may hold the info on a day by day, employee by employee basis. Last resort is to go through Daily envelopes and manually find each days credit card tips.
Reply 72 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil

Lakeland, Florida, USA

Tax Advisor/CEO

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

New York, New York, USA

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Denver, Colorado, USA

Tax Director


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today