I earn rental income from my condo in Florida. Do I have to file a US tax return?

What are the withholding requirements, if any?
Real Estate Tax
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Larry Stolberg, CPA, CA
Gross rental income is generally subject to a 30% withholding tax unless a waiver form is provided to the payor or agency managing the property. With the waiver form in place, you have effectively told the IRS that the gross income will be treated as ECI and you then must file a tax return to be taxed at tax rates afforded to the entity (individual, corporation) owning or having the beneficial interest in the property.
Leave a Comment 280 weeks ago

User Photo
Chuck Heyde, CPA, CGMA
Excellent response Larry.

I would add that rentals often generate losses. These losses are often non-deductible. And the non-deductible loss can not be tracked unless the return is filed. The important point to this comment is that when the property is sold, the losses are freed up and can be used against the gain on the sale.

So file a US return....

Chuck Heyde, CPA, CGMA
Leave a Comment 275 weeks ago

User Photo
James Sutton, CPA, Esq
If your condo rental is for a period less than 6 months, then you would also be liable for sales tax on the rental income even if you don't make a profit.
Leave a Comment 236 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

New York, NY

User Photo John L Stancil

Tax Advisor/CEO

Lakeland, FL

User Photo John R Dundon, II EA

Tax Director

Denver, CO

User Photo Kevin Johnson MS, JD, LL.M, CPA


Philadelphia, PA

User Photo Brian Weaver, CPA, MBA

Managing Tax Consultant

Des Plaines, IL

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

Rancho Santa Fe, CA


User Photo Jim Marshall, EA

President/ Tax And Financial Advisor

Scottsdale, AZ

User Photo Brett A Thompson, JD, CPA

Managing Tax Lawyer

Katy, TX

User Photo Charles Woodson, EA

Tax Advisor/Fiduciary Coach

San Diego, CA

User Photo John Richardson

Tax Lawyer

Toronto, Canada

User Photo Clifford Benjamin

Senior Tax Principal

Daytona Beach, FL

User Photo Kazim Qasim, EA, CTC

Managing Tax Advisor/CEO

Orlando, FL


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today