Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please Type Topic Into Search Bar

I breed horses and have large losses this year and have been told to file a Schedule C with my large losses. On the other hand, another Advisor told me that this makes me a target for an IRS Audit which may be costlier. What advice would you give me?

Schedule C Losses
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
William Keats
Usually breeding of horses is reported on Form 1040, Schedule F (Farming). IRS guideline for breeding losses is 5 out of 7 years. Now, if you have filed past returns using Sch. F, I recommend that you still do. If you have been breeding horses for more than 7 years, and continually show losses, IRS can assume that this is a hobby, not a business. Losses are limited on Sch. F to $300,000. Excess losses create a NOL (net operating loss), which can be carried back 2 years and forward 20 years.
Reporting really large losses on Schedule C will attract attention of IRS, and probably would result in an audit.
Leave a Comment 447 weeks ago


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today