Ask Tax Question

I became a US citizen this year (2015). I have accounts and CDs in Indian banks. What is the tax implication to me in US, if those accounts are closed now and the funds transferred to my a/c in US and I include them in my taxable income, for e.g. from 2016.

The total amount in question is around US$.150,000/-. I need to know if this amount is included in my total income of next year for calculation or only the interest earned on it. Does the Voluntary Disclosure Program help in any way in my case? Please give me a response with an example calculation.
Foreign Bank Account
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Mere transfer of a deposit account from overseas bank to US does not make it taxable, and only the interest earned will be taxable. However, the issue of taxabllity of such interest income/ penalty for non filing of FBAR/ Form 8938 filing, etc remains for 2015 and prior years.

The Voluntary disclosure program might help if that deposit, while in Indian banks, or income from that deposit was not reported in the US taxes returns and/ or FBAR filings during 2015 and prior years.
Leave a Comment 66 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil

Lakeland, Florida, USA

Tax Advisor/CEO

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

New York, New York, USA

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Denver, Colorado, USA

Tax Director

User Photo Steven Potts JD EA IAR

Fullerton, California, USA


User Photo Caran Ebert, CPA

Topanga, California, USA

Tax Advisor

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

Rancho Santa Fe, California, USA

CEO/Certified Financial Advisor

User Photo Randy Tarpey

Tyrone , Pennsylvania, USA


User Photo Lisa Nason CPA, MST

Greenville, South Carolina, USA

Managing Shareholder

User Photo David Hughey, EA, MAcc

Longview, Washington, USA

Tax Consultant/Tax Advisor


Santa Clara, California, USA

Tax Principal - President

User Photo Bill Robinson, CPA

Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA


User Photo Hugo Van Zyl

Stellenbosch, South Africa

Exchange Control & Master Tax Practitioner (SA)

User Photo Douglas Stransky

Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Tax Partner, International Tax

User Photo Chad Hatalla

Rheinfelden, Switzerland

Senior Tax Manager

User Photo Larry Stolberg, CPA, CA

Toronto Mississauga Oakville Burlington Hamilton, Canada

Tax Specialist

View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page

Contact Us Today